We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Cost Rica in March 2014!

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Cost Rica in March 2014!

Hi, first post on TA, but I have done a lot of reading.

I am planning a trip to CR and decided to see if a travel planner could help. I am considering using CR Referrals, but I haven't read very may reviews in recent years about this company.

Does any of the "experts" know of them and if it's reputable? I just want to check and avoid trouble if possible.

Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First trip to Cost Rica in March 2014!

Funny, we are considering March too! The problem I'm running into though is that these tour companies all are offering "packages". I have free flights & free hotels with points, so really what we need is just the experiences. Is it possible to book individually the zipline, rafting, rapelling, horseback riding?

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: First trip to Cost Rica in March 2014!

Yes, of course you can book all of the excursions (and more) on your own.

A tour guide company really isn't needed, unless you want someone else to organize and control everything for you.

I recommend you use TA to plan everything yourself. It will safe you money and give you a much more unique experience, custom to your own likes, and pace.

One thing I suggest is that you make sure whichever hotels you have points with still have availability. March is in the High Season and places book up in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: First trip to Cost Rica in March 2014!

im so glad a found this thread! i am in the midst of booking a trip this march too! its a surprise for my hubby's bday :D

originally i was going to book with gadventures, but none of them were exactly what i wanted. also as nice as it is to meet people there is always the fear that you will be stuck with people you can't stand for 2wks (not a vacation at all!), it also scared me a bit that they don't let you know what hotels they are putting you in.

after looking on ta and reading peoples advice im now booking my own trip. included transport, good hotels (all with breakfast) and calculated the costs of several activities, food, etc. so far i've saved $1500, that's almost our airfare from vancouver!

i fully intend to hire a guide once there for certain adventures. any recommendations where guides are a must?!

24. Re: First trip to Cost Rica in March 2014!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:19