We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
453 reviews
Save Topic
Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

What are best Costa Rica dessert?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

Tres Leches is the first thing that pops into my mind. It's a kind of rice pudding sort of thing.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

Tres Leches is great -- but it's actually a vanilla cake soaked in three kinds of milk.

Inca - I think you are mixing up Tres Leches with Arroz con Leche -- the "rice pudding" type dish.

Others: Flan - if it's made well, a coconut flan is to die for. There are also sweet empanadas with a fruit filling.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

I was thinking of arroz con leche! So sorry! I was wiping sleep out of my eyes when I answered that question.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

skip the chocolate cakes and cookies. Even though cacao grows in CR they don't bake well with chocolate. Go for something with the amazing local fruits in it!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

I agree about the chocolate things. They just are not "chocolate-y" enough for my taste!

This is a great resource for Costa Rican foods: http://recetasdecostarica.blogspot.com/

Frankly, I don't think desserts are a big thing in Costa Rica, other than flan, arroz con leche or tres leches and the fruit-filled empanadas. But it will depend on where you eat.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

We will be eating mainly in medium price restaurants. What about Chocolate Bars? Do they have great Chocolates bars in Costa Rica?

Edited: 21 November 2013, 23:00
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

Sorry, no great chocolate bars that I am aware of. You can buy a lot of the regular north american brands of candy bars in grocery stores. Even though they are not all that great either, they are usually better than any locally produced chocolates, at least any that I have tasted. I hope someone will prove me wrong though because it would be fun to find great locally made chocolate!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

Here and there you will find great locally made chocolates but you will need to look other than a supermarket. Some supermarkets in highly touristic areas will have imported dark chocolate bars (for about $5).

For instance, in Arenal, there is a chocolate shop near the Central Park that has a great assortment of chocolates. Of course, there are "chocolate tours" where you can see locally grown chocolates being made and get some samples.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

'Trits' - vanilla ice cream sandwich sold in most grocery stores - YUM!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must try desserts in Costa Rica?

I like cemtenario, chilled, goes down smooth with subtle hints of vanilla.