We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

Redstone, Co
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

My wife and I are planning to travel from Alejuela to David, Panama on 21 February. The method of travel is the issue. Ideally, would like to find a good travel agent in Alejuela / San Jose area to help us for reasonable hourly rate. Flying Air Panama is very expensive, and lots of suggestions on forums that online booking has been disastrous at times (i.e., better to buy ticket at airport office - but one takes the chance of flight being sold out if wait until get there). Another option is the express bus from SJ to border, then take a Panama bus on into David. But I can't find schedules online for either, and don't know how reputable the schedules are (i.e., if SJ bus is late, might miss all the Panama connections. 3rd alternative is just to arrange for a shuttle to take us to border, and another shuttle in Panama to get us to David - but don't have any contacts for doing this. So, again, love to find a dependable travel agent for assistance, or someone that has experience with these alternatives.

p.s. - we're 70'ish so not as adventurous with travel modes as younger folks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,524 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

Look for TRACOPA...good bus service with plenty departures every day...by the way I really do not think you need any travel agent to book anything...

TRACOPA bus station is in San Jose...big station GREYHOUND style...located aroud Plaza Gonzalez Viquez...every body knows where they are located!

www.tracopacr.com

Roadadvisor

Edited: 05 December 2013, 18:03
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

The other choice is the international bus TicaBus. ticabus.com/esp/rutas_mapa_detalle_ruta.php… You can get the bus that goes from San Jose to Panama City which stops in David. You can buy a ticket through their website -- not through the online purchase facility, but by sending them an email.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

If you have a hotel in Panama picked out, you can have them book your Air Panama tickets for you. That's what we did for our upcoming trip for our flights between Panama City and David. Lots of people opt for this, due to the website's irregular performance.

LONG bus ride from San Jose area to David. I would avoid if practicable.

Redstone, Co
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

Thanks everyone for the suggestions as well as what perhaps not to do.

Racandee - if we fly, the first part of round trip would be San Jose to David so using our Panama hotel to book air likely not workable. Could use our Alejuela hotel perhaps but they haven't been the most responsive in helping with little additional things like this.

HattieCostRica - I'll check out Ticabus - thanks much..

RoadAdvisor - I wasn't sure how dependable Tracopa's schedule might be, and more important, not sure dependability of the Panama buses from CR border to David that we would have to meet if we took the Tracopa bus to border - not sure we want to sit at the border perhaps all night waiting for a bus to Panama interior. And, would require getting up very early to get taxi into San Jose which would not be cheap from Alejuela.

The car rental agency we plan to use for our Costa Rica part of the trip (Vamos4x4) before going to Panama is actually owned by a separate company which is a travel agency (Select Costa Rica), and they are working on some transportation options for me - maybe they will come across some additional possibilities - still sounds like flying, though very expensive, may be best approach to get us to Panama in time to rent our car there and get to our lodging at Volcan before it gets dark.

5. Re: Transportation: Alejuela to David Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:16