We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

Hello all, I just arrived in San Jose tonight and when I arrived at Economy rent-a-car they informed me that they have NO cars left for rent. I booked the vacation and car rental back in Sept and have booked and paid for hotels throughout Costa Rica. I had them contact all the other rental agencies who are all sold out of cars large enough for my family + luggage (2 adults and 2 kids). I checked with the guys at Solid rent-a-car who seemed like really nice people and they called around some more with no luck. I ended up taking a taxi to my hotel I have booked for 2 nights in San Jose but after that I have no idea what to do? I looked online about possibly purchasing a car but it seems like a complicated and expensive process for a 2 week period. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

Contact www.interbusonline.com and book a ride on their shared shuttles or do a search to pull up a list of recommended private drivers on this forum. Your odds of finding a rental car this week are very slim. Another black eye for Economy.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,804 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

There are several companies that offers shared shuttle van type of transportation: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g291982-c109576/Costa… . On some routes you could also use buses. Private drivers also, but they may also be in short supply. You may also ask local taxi drivers how much would cost you the transport to next destination.

My biggest fear, arriving and having no car left. I would be mad like hell! Thus I always check Tripadvisor forums before deciding which rental car company to book from.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

You might end up having to book private transportation since the shared van shuttles are pretty booked up this time of year. But -- try Interbus and also look here: www.anywherecostarica.com -- click on transportation.

Unfortunate that you found Trip Advisor "after the fact" and not before since we could have warned you about Economy.

For private transportation -- www.tucanlimoservices.com or the AnywhereCosta Rica transportation options.

chicago, il
Level Contributor
2 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

Wow, I feel bad for your situation. What I would do is check with the hotel you are staying, and see if they can arrange for a driver. I don't know how far away the hotels are that you have booked, but they might be able to provide transportation. Also, there may be car rentals available once you get away from San Jose. Good luck, and enjoy your vacation!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

How unfortunate for you and your family. We used VAMOS car rental in NOV and were very pleased, maybe check with them as they have a SJ office. We used SIBU TOURS for organized trips but they did offer shuttle service so if all other leads fail you may want to try them . Their drivers were excellent and the staff very helpful. Everyone on TA is hoping for a positive outcome so the more ideas shared with you the better.

info@sibutourscostarica.com

713-900-7036

506-8812-1109 (mobile)

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

It seems all car rentals are booked so that may be a dead end. Best prospect is to work with your hotel and they can find a driver to get you to your first stop, You are lucky to be able to sort this out in SJO...I am assuming by now you have done this. I would also recommend calling Tucan Limo as recommended above. By now I'm sure you know that "purchasing a car" is not necessary. Good luck

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,275 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

where is your first destination?

If all else fails, some places are really not that difficult to get to by public bus from San Jose. others - not so convenient.

As others have advised - investigate private drivers and shared shuttles.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

I am heading to Arenal first, I have figured out that I can take vans and busses most places we are going. After Manuel Antonio we are going to the Osa Peninsula for 3 nights and I have not found a way to get there. Any suggestions for getting there and back?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,275 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

No personal experience with either but from MA to Osa you can try contacting. Shuttle Osa or Easyride

http://www.shuttleosacr.com/about-us.html

http://www.easyridecr.com

But if you contact somewhere like Anywhere Costa Rica, they should be able to do something as they work with all sorts of companies y drivers.

Pura vida

Raquel

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need advise, stuck in San Jose!

Well....... from Manuel Antonio to the Osa, you can take a shuttle, the public bus or hire a private driver. Ask at your lodging in Manuel Antonio if you haven't figured anything out before then.

The bus from San Jose to La Fortuna is pretty easy. You will change buses in San Carlos, but that's not difficult. The bus will have a storage compartment underneath and you can put your luggage in there. If you can, find a small bicycle lock and lock your bags together. Put all your valuables in a day pack and keep it with you - and don't put anything in the overhead bin. The buses are safe -- just the "danger" of pickpockets.

From La Fortuna to Manuel Antonio, you should probably hire a private driver. When you use the shared van shuttle, you pay per person. When you use private transportation, you pay for the trip. The shared van shuttle averages $50 or so per person so with 4 of you, it's just as economical to use private drivers. And much more convenient, of course.

Likewise from Manuel Antonio to wherever you're going on the Osa Peninsula. Although public bus travel is certainly a possibility, depending on where you are going.

Returning from the Osa, consider flying into SJO. Otherwise, it's an all-day trip by land. Not sure if you will be able to find space at this late date - but look at Sansa and Nature Air airlines.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 18:10