We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

Hi!

We have a family trip where we are all traveling from MA to San Jose. Our flight leaves a day later than the rest so we are "stuck in San Jose" for two nights.

Any recommendations for good hotels for kids? It seems like the big "resort type" hotels (e.g. with good pools) are in the middle of nowhere and have very expensive and poorly regarded food. Ideal would be to have something with good pools and where we could easily go somewhere outside the hotel for some food and walking around town.

We would be up for any very short day trip suggestions as well (my favorite is Toucan Rescue, but we were just there)

thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

The airport is not actually in San Jose but in Alajuela, about 30 minutes away. It's much much nicer to stay somewhere in Alajuela - and safer. (Lots of crime in San Jose......)

There is lodging of all sorts and all prices and all kinds of locations. La Rosa de America is very nice and they have a pool and a large family room. It's very near (walking distance) to Zoo Ave (check Trip Advisor reviews)

If "price is no object" - then Xandari is a great choice. In the hills overlooking the Central Valley - a beautiful spot.

For something near the center of town - Hotel Los Volcanes. An historical home converted into a hotel, it's within walking distance of many restaurants, shops, banks and Parks. Very comfortable and a killer breakfast.

Hotel Pura Vida is very pleasant for families and comfortable.

Just a sampling of some places that are available in Alajuela. All these are 20 minutes or less (mostly less) from the airport.

California
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

Thank you for that information. I was wondering the same thing.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

My favorite place is Adventure Inn. They have free shuttles to the airport, big rooms, pool, jacuzzi and the staff is great...I've stayed there about 5 times so far and always love it. :-) Amazing breakfast is included and great prices: http://www.adventure-inn.com/

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

Frankly, I am not a fan of Adventure Inn. It's about halfway between San Jose and the airport, a block over from a busy 6-8 lane highway and not much in the way of grounds. They have a free shuttle which is not really a big deal since a taxi to most hotels is around $5 and almost all hotels will pay a taxi to the airport.

I often recommend La Rosa de America for families because it not only has a large family room and a swimming pool but nice grounds for the kids to get out and run around a bit.

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

How old are your kids?

We stayed at Hotel Pura Vida and loved it. The casitas are clean and well kept. Beautiful ground and nice volcano view when sky is clear. Owner Berni can arrange half day and day trips for you. They have a few large but very friendly dogs so if your kids are very young it might not be for you. Otherwise, I highly recommend Hotel Pura Vida.

6. Re: Hotel for two nights in San Jose (with kids)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18