We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

Ottawa
Level Contributor
223 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

Hey guys, leaving for CR in a couple of days...really excited! I am driving from San Jose to Mount Chirripo...I was wondering if the highway 2 that takes you to Mount Chirripo from San Jose is a easy ride? Is it absolutely a must to have a gps? How is the road overall?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

Nice road as you said overall...a lot better in your case if you have a GPS...once you program the destination...just seat and drive...that easy...

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

Driving PanAm2 is surely not an easy ride. You will need to navigate the maze of unsigned streets in and around San Jose, for which a GPS is almost essential. Once out of the city, navigation is easy so you can switch off the GPS. After Cartago, the road starts to climb up in the mountains. Slow heavy trucks will cause for some reckless overtaking by local drivers. Do not try to copy their driving style. Stay behind the truck, eventually it will move aside to make the road free. Near the top of the mountain range you will most probably encounter low lying clouds/fog which will limit the visibility, and again, slowed down your driving. And after noon, also quite heavy rain showers are common. The road is a two lane, relatively narrow, definitively twisty, but paved all the way. There are sodas (restaurants) where you can stop for coffee and bathroom or lunch. So, drive slowly, drive defensively and you will be OK.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

Sometimes there is rain or fog late in the day but otherwise it is a beautiful drive. Large sections were recently re-surfaced in fact.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
223 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

Ok I guess I will rent a gps from the car company. Thanks for the information. Cheers.

5. Re: Driving from SJO to Mount Chirripo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:18