We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about SJ

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about SJ

I will be visiting San Jose for five days and want to know if Manuel Antonio is worth visiting for a day trip? I'm also planning to visit a rainforest and check out the sites in the city centre.

What foods I should try?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,255 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about SJ

Hi mayday,

Is there a specific reason why you are planning to spend the majority of your trip in San Jose?

I would say that most people would agree that to get the most out of your trip, you should change your trip around and spend the bulk of your time in Manuel Antonio and just spend about a day in San Jose if you want to see some of the city sites.

In Manuel Antonio you have the beach, the National park, lots of wildlife. Also, there is a good tourist infrastructure with lots of hotels and restaurants in all price ranges, activities, tours, live music... So I guess what I am saying is that MA is worth more than a day trip.

If you feel you want to spend all that time in San Jose or have to for some reason, I would say, at least do an overnight trip as opposed to just a day trip to MA so you'll have more time to relax and enjoy things there.

As for food - if you are interested in Costa Rican food, there is a good thread about it

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g309293-i1208-k6988…

pura vida

raquel

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about SJ

Here is another link you may find interesting:

tripadvisor.ca/…0

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
253 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about SJ

Thanks you two :-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about SJ

No worth it a one day tour fron San Jose to Manuel Antonio...not worth it at alll

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about SJ

In my opinion, you should definitely venture out to Manuel Antonio, but I would suggest that you spend one night in Manuel Antonio to make the 3-4 hour trip worth it. The beaches are absolutely beautiful and the views of water, rainforest, and animals should be experienced when in Costa Rica! There are lots of great restaurants in the area as well. You could always consider flying on Sansa or Nature Airlines (a 20-30 minute flight) to cut back on travel time and maximize your time enjoying the area. Enjoy!

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about SJ

I agree ! One day in San Jose and you will be ready to head somewhere else. Manuel Antonio is 3 hours from San Jose and you need three days there, at least. You have the rainforest, national park, beautiful beaches and everything in between in MA.

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about SJ

You must try all of the seasonal fruits, the locals are super happy to help you figure out how to eat them. Also, Costa Rican tamales are yummy! Everything is "organic"! If you like honey they have the best.....it's also a great souvenir to bring back for friends!

8. Re: A few questions about SJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:17