We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and GPS

Surprise, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
car rental and GPS

We are planning a 3 week trip to Lake Arenal in Costa Rica summer 2014 and need to rent a car and definitely have a GPS. Our last trip, we used Alamo and rented small SUV for 8 days, which was over $700 with GPS, taxes, etc. It took us over 2 hours to wait and get paperwork down for rental, which had been reserved ahead and the6y require you to take out extra insurance even if you have credit card that covers such for a foreign rental. They ran out of Garmins and we had to wait longer for an off site company to bring us a Garmin. The Alamo rep did program the rental Garmin for us for all of our destinations, which helped considerably. I'm considering buying Costa Rica road maps to download to my freestanding Garmin and just take that with us instead of renting from car company. Do you have recommendations on car rental company and/or Garmin?

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental and GPS

The Navsat maps for Costa Rica are recommended above those of GPS Travel maps on this forum. You need to purchase it in advance, however as it is sent to you via email and takes a couple of days. I have a GPS Travel map for Costa Rica and haven't updated it-- even when new, however, it was buggy. I am going to upgrade to Navsat.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 00:07
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,169 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental and GPS

Since NAVSAT starting dealing in Costa Rica I have had been driving with my GARMIN...incredible nice and accuracy....no other GPS mapping in our country even close to NAVSAT!

Rent a cars...Alamo...Toyota...Budget...Avis...Hertz...avoid ECONOMY and TRHIFTY

roadadvisor

Oconomowoc...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental and GPS

I just returned from costa Rica. We rented a car from Alamo through car rentals.com. The car we paid for, a small suv for five people was so small it only fit two people and maybe one suitcase, the company said it was bad information given to us by car rentals.com and we ended up upgrading… the $225 car rental then doubled. We did get a gps which was very useful and total insurance so we ended up paying $1100 for our 10 day car rental. The guy at Alamo was very nice and very helpful other than the size of the car problem….Driving was great. We put 500mi. on the car with no problems with the car or the roads.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,940 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental and GPS

Yeah, a typical story when booking through middle man/ online booking.

5. Re: car rental and GPS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:19