We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto flight thru San Salvador

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
saskatchewan
Level Contributor
466 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto flight thru San Salvador

I see a flight from Toronto that stops in San Salvador en route to San Jose. Can anyone tell me if you just stay on the plane while they pick up and drop off passengers or do you have to get off and clear customs there too?

Any input would be great!

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

It's Avianca airline flight 627. Only a 50 min layover. So I assume u stay on the plane but need to confirm.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,761 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

Hi boomhauer,

I was looking at Avianca for YYZ to SJO recently, and in a PM with a forum member, he advised that you don't go through customs in SanSalvador. The Avianca website will indicate if you have to change planes (click on 'detail' for the flight options).

Here's a thread from a few years ago on Fodor's that should be of help: fodors.com/community/mexico-central-america/…

I ended up booking with AC Rouge as they have a non-stop flight and I had flexibility with dates, so I was able to get a reasonable price.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
980 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

I did the stopover in San Salvador back in October 2012 - they were still Taca at that time and it was painless. My first stopover so I was nervous but was so pleased. We did change plane and the staff were so friendly and helpful pointing us to the gate where the other staff were waiting for us as our plane was slightly late. I'm hoping it's just the name that changed not the great service. For people like myself that are not willing to stopover in the US there are not many cheap options and Taca was a good one.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

San Salvador is a breeze. No customs, no passport control. You get off one plane, walk down the hall and get on another one. Fifty minutes is plenty of time to do some shopping and get a bite to eat and get your next flight.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

Have you read the reviews of Air Canada Rouge on Air Travel Forum?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

Somke times they ask passengers to leave the plane or even change planes...but is easy and fast...do not worry good deal!

roadadvisor

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
466 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

Thanks for all the input, very Helpful!

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

Your thread lives on! Wondering the same thing for a 45 minute changeover this xmas.... worth the try and avoiding an 11 hour layover in miami... Looks doable....

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

It only takes a few minutes for the transit. Your only problem will be a flight that might be delayed due to bad weather that time of year. I would definitely try it rather than the 11 hour layover!

10. Re: Toronto flight thru San Salvador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2015, 05:16