We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

We are planning our first trip to Costa Rica this March. We are flying into San Jose and had originally planned on 3 nights there, but after reading other peoples comments on San Jose I'm starting to think this is too long.

I think Tortuega is too far for one day/night, especially as we are driving to Arenal after that.

So we were curious about Sarapiqui. I was wondering if it was worth an overnight or just a day trip.

The options I was looking at are either a tour from SJ to cinco ceibas rainforest reserve & adventure park ($99/pp)

Or driving to Selva Verde and staying at the lodge there which looks like it has a lot of grounds and tours to itself

Any feed back on these places would be greatly appreciated.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

I would do an overnight in Sarapiqui and driving to Selva Verde would be my choice.

And yes, don't spend more than 1/2 a day (or a night) in San Jose.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

Definitely an overnight in Sarapiqui rather than a daytrip. First the wildlife is more active early morning and late day and you'll miss that on a daytrip. Second if you're headed for Arenal than backtracking to San Jose makes no sense. Far better to stay in the area and take the short drive to La Fortuna/Arenal the next day (1.5 hours). Selva Verde is a great choice but you might also want to chceck out guided hikes at La Selva, a tropical research station and chocolate tours at Tirimbina Reserve: tirimbina.org/ecotourism/chocolate-tour.html In fact there is enough stuff to do in this area to spend 2 nights with a visit to Heliconia Island and a rafting or float trip on the Sarapiqui to keep you busy on day 2.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

Agree with Hattie...from SJO to Sarapiqui stay at La Selva by OTS...then keep going next day to Arenal...nice road all the way...

roadadvisor

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

thanks so much for the advice.

road advisor... what does OTS mean?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

I'm going to jump in here -- OTS is the Organization for Tropical Studies and they have a biological station called La Selva which is very near Selva Verde. You can stay at the biological station, but the accommodations are pretty primitive.

6. Re: Day tour to Sarapiqui or overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:18