We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Grand Cayman
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Please be very cautious with all your gear at the San Jose, Costa Rica airport. The airport security personnel will take what they want while they are "searching" your checked suitcase, "behind closed doors". This has been a problem for a long time, but they aren't doing anything about it and it is getting worse. Why isn't anyone monitoring these folks who search our bags. Is everyone in on it? Are the "higher up's" involved? It just happened to us and we are pissed. We've been coming to Costa Rica for years and have had several incidences, but this is the worst one. Costa Rica Airport,,,I have a message for you. Stop stealing from the people who travel into your country or they will stop coming!!!

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Ouch, quite an accusation, Barbara. Checking carry-on "behind closed doors"??!! Have travelled quite many airports (and other border crossings) and they never ever checked anything "behind closed doors" - if anything there were always several persons present, beside myself and the security officer that made a check. So I am really curious what in reality has happened there?!

If you are referring to check-in luggage, well, no airport is immune to this problem; best way to avoid is to use the plastic wrap machines (difficult to open so your luggage is less a target then a non-wrapped one) and of course, have any item of financial or personal importance in your carry-on luggage.

2. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 18:58
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

But it is OK to make objectionable slurs against the OP?

While I do agree that barbara's post is very strong and accusatory, it seems her post was misread. No one said anything about carryon. She specifically said checked luggage. Checked luggage is not supposed to be locked or else it has to have a TSA lock. This is because airport security can at any time open and look at your luggage "behind the scenes" once you check it. So unless hattie has been back there on in the baggage handling area her numerous trips out of CR, I am not sure how she can so adamantly guarantee what happens after one surrenders their checked luggage . Or the issue, if there is one could be with a baggage handler....

Anyway, barbara, sorry you appear to have lost something. However, in general, it is unwise to leave things of value or importance in checked luggage. And if your checked bags were tampered with, how can you prove it happened in SJo. it may have been at a transfer point or else the final destination.

Raquel

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

I've had my bags pilfered at various airports but, luckily, never at SJO.

Having worked this very job as a young lad (don't judge me - I needed the money!), I can tell you that this type of stealing happens at the departure airport and not at the destination where there is absolutely no time. I've seen people do it more than once and even worked at an airport where they introduced special security to combat this problem.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

OK, so it is checked-in luggage. Of course, that can be opened by a security personnel; and it is done, quite often indeed (judged by my personal experiences). Yet never ever was anything taken away. And saying about airport security to be thieves, well, raquel_z, that is not only strong and accusatory by OP but direct accusations; how she would know who was taking things from her luggage is this was done "behind closed doors"?!

She is coming to Costa Rica for several years, and has happened to her several times, and yet she has learned nothing form those "incidences"?!

All in all, one post that does very little in sense of improving our travel knowledge. And with such a directed title, IMO, it should be closed and removed by TA.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 15:49
Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Xelas - it's usually not security personell but baggage handlers. At least in my experience.

Once bags come down the conveyer belt to be loaded unto lorries (which is after they run through security screeners), they can simply sit there for hours before being brought to the plane.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

If security goes through your luggage they leave a note indicating such, so yes, it would be a baggage handler and probably at the departure or transfer airport. I am guessing there are thieves at Grand Cayman!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Houlton, Maine
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Bit different now, but Heathrow airport used to be commonly known as Thiefrow. There were a lot of wealthy baggage handlers in those days, there was never any jobs available as they all went to friends. Times have changed, but human nature doesn't, so as has been suggested keep your valuables with you.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Sorry to hear about your loss, but this could have occurred at the other airport as well. Unfortunately, it is a fairly common problem worldwide. It's always a good idea to keep valuables in your carry on. Here's a story published a couple days ago by the LA Times: latimes.com/local/…axzz2xSnbzkE3

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,494 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Security at San Jose, Costa Rica Airport are thieves

Framptonian, that is what I am writing about; it is common knowledge that items have been stolen from checked luggage, and that most probably (and also investigations pointed that way) baggage handlers are/were responsible for that. There are several airports notorious for that issue. Yet the OP directly accused the security personnel, and that really irritated me. And, the OP took time to join the forum and post its accusations yet does not have time to add to our replies/comments.