We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day weekend itinerary advice for San Jose & area

Which San Jose hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canton, MI
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Memorial Day weekend itinerary advice for San Jose & area

My flight plans are currently as follows:

- Depart Detroit @ 6:44 PM on Fri, May 23rd & arrive @ San Jose (SJO) just after midnight

- Depart San Jose (SJO) on Wed, May 28th @ 1:07 AM & arrive back in Detroit @ 10:19 AM

Is the following itinerary feasible?

- Sat, May 24: Volcan Poas then La Paz Waterfall Gardens

- Sun, May 25: Pacuare One Day Rafting with Adventure Costa Rica

- May 26-27: Hiking Chirripo National Park

+ how to obtain permit in advance?

+ are walk-in permits available for same or next day?

+ how far from San Jose to San Gerardo de Rivas for permits?

+ is Mt. Chirripo closed for maintenance around these dates?

+ is 2 days necessary?

If time permits, we're also interested in Jaco Beach and/or Ruins of Ujarras

Do any/all of these activities require advanced reservations?

If so, how can I obtain them?

I understand this Green Season time of year, so should I limit my planned activities for afternoons?

Any/all advice is appreciated, including itinerary revisions or alternatives. Thx

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,188 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Day weekend itinerary advice for San Jose & area

This is not a realistic itinerary. I would forget about Mt. Chirripo hike given your time constraints. Take a look at this link for a "quick hike to Chirripo which takes 3 days starting and ending in San Isidro, roughly 3 hours south of San Jose. And it starts in San Isidro at 5 AM on day 1. www.chirripo.com/ing/sub.php… There are other guides of course but you just can't realistically do this hike in 2 days starting from San Jose.

Would suggest you rethink basing yourself in San Jose as it is not a particulalry scenic city and traffic congestion getting in and out of town each day will add considerable road time to your daily adventures. If you base yourself in Alajuela or elsewhere in the central valley you can reduce time on the road.

Suggest you find a hotel in or near Alajuela for 1st 2 nights. Contact www.exploradoresoutddors.com for your

trip on the Pacuare and they will drop you i Arenal after a day whitewater rafting. Spend Sunday and Monday night in Arenal/La Fortuna and hike Rio Celeste or Cerro Chato on Monday. Check out hot springs while you are there. Tuesday afternoon take an interbus shuttle back to Alajuela for a late dinner before heading to the airport Tuesday night for your 1 AM departure.

You don't need to book all your adventus in advance but you should book the Poas daytrip and whitewater rafting before you arrival and book everthing else at least 24 hours in advance.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 15:54
Canton, MI
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Day weekend itinerary advice for San Jose & area

We're considering adding an extra day at end of our trip to give us a few more options

We may substitute spend Sunday & Monday nights in Arenal/La Fortuna and hike Rio Celeste or Cerro Chato on Monday with hot springs, instead of hiking Chirripo National Park.

Any other good hikes relatively close to Central Valley?

If we still try to hike Chirripo National Park, how can we obtain permit in advance?

Any other suggestions for activities near central valley, such as beaches, ruins, spas, or yoga retreats we could fit in during our short visit?

Would it help us to rent a car for more options given our limited time or would it cost too much?

Thx crfan for all the advice!

3. Re: Memorial Day weekend itinerary advice for San Jose & area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16