We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

dallas, TX
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

My husband and I were there 20 yrs ago, and are returning in December.

Here is the idea I have:

go from SJO to San Gerardo de Dota for birding--stay 2 nites

from there to Drake Bay (Corcovado, Cano Island, etc.)--stay 3-4 nites

airplane from Drake area back to San Jose--do an overnite trip of 2 days to Tortuguero

leave SJO

Does this sound doable?

I was ready to rent a car--we have driven in New Zealand, Italy, France, Caribbean--but I am a bit worried about all of the talk about the tire-slashing in CR. This is rather dissuading me form car rental. My husband and i are seniors and we certainly would be identified as tourists. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........the other option in shuttles or buses, i guess--between SJ and San Gerardo and then San Gerardo and Drake. Can anyone make a recommendation on this transportation?

thanks a bunch

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

Since you will be in Drake Bay (where you don't need a car) and flying back to SJO, you should probably just hire private drivers for the first part of your trip and use the shared van shuttle/boat to get to Tortuguero and back to SJO.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

I agree with Hattie - a car would be a hindrance on this trip. Just do a search for private drivers on this forum or ask you lodgings if they have a driver they work with. Many packages to Tortuguero lodges actually include the transfers to/from San Jose unless you are staying independently in the village. Love your itinerary. Hope you have a great trip.

I doubt you'd have a problem with tire slashers but I have had to change a number of flats in Costa Rica. I just don't think a car is useful on this particular itinerary.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

Hi,

I can take a flight is more safe and the time is less of course. Sansa has this kind of transportation. You can see the information here: http://www.flysansa.com/

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

Sorry, Gabriel, I know you are trying to promote the company you work for, but Sansa doesn't fly to Tortuguero. Read the question.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 18:51
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

lol

6. Re: confused by travel options--return to Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17