We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Monteverde, Beach or somehwere else -- in a day!

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose to Monteverde, Beach or somehwere else -- in a day!

Hi,

I need some help with transportation and timing questions.

I'll be arriving in San Jose on a friday night and will need to report to my volunteer placement (in San Jose) on Sunday afternoon. Can I go to Monteverde on Saturday and come back on Sunday in a both cost effective and time efficient manner? Alternatively, could I go to a beach instead for the day?

After my week long volunteering program ends, I will have 3 days to explore and I was thinking of doing Arenal Volcano and either a beach destination or Monteverde (depending on what I do on the Saturday prior).

Some help with logistics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose to Monteverde, Beach or somehwere else -- in a day!

No and yes,

No, it's not really feasible to go to Monteverde for one night. But - it is possible. The thing is -- most of the shared van shuttles leave Monteverde in the morning so if you want to have an afternoon, a night and a morning there, you would probably need to hire private transportation or use the public bus.

And yes, you can go to the beach for a couple of days. Look at Playa Hermosa near Jaco or the Uvita/Domincal area.

And please, with 3 days, don't plan on going to two places. Pick one. Arenal would be great -- lots to do and see and experience.

For distances and travel times: www.yourtravelmap.com

For public bus schedule: www.thebusschedule.com/cr/

For shared van shuttles -- there are several but you can get some good ideas from www.interbusonline.com

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose to Monteverde, Beach or somehwere else -- in a day!

Thanks.. I think I do just want to stick to one location for the 3 days at the end... and then I REALLY want to go to the beach, so maybe I'll skip monteverde and just look for a beach to go to for a day and half from SJO.

3. Re: San Jose to Monteverde, Beach or somehwere else -- in a day!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:16