We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer 2007 Alaska holiday

Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
summer 2007 Alaska holiday

Hi hope someone can start my thinking off with some good advice- thinking of seeing Alaska next Summer but don't want to be on a luxury cruise ship. On the other hand, I'm not an artic explorer so need tips on what is available for reasonably fit people who love wildlife and the natural world. We would be travelling from Britain, spending about 2 weeks away and like to walk (moderately!). Look forward to any suggestions and thanks in advance.

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

buy the milepost, it tells you all there is to know about AK. have a good trip.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

There are so many possibilities that it is hard to list everything. If you are flying into Alaska, you will likely come into Anchorage or Fairbanks in the summer. Most people who do this will visit Denali National Park, the Kenai Peninsula, and a few other places. These offer much in the way of hiking, wildlife and/or glacier viewing. If this is your "cup of tea" :). then I'd start your research with these areas. With two weeks, you will have many options. If you want to be flexible, and not have to plan out every accommodation, then I'd suggest either renting an RV, or renting a car and stay at B&B's staying at a base for a few days, and then moving on. The hiking possibilities are numerous, and there are a couple of really good guidebooks I can suggest. The hiking will range from easy to difficult, and the rewards are great. Another possibility is a fly-out to one of the bear viewing areas, or even a glacier landing. These type of trips will be expensive. Then there are the numerous off the beaten track places that are well worth the visit. May and September are shoulder season. Many places open on Memorial Day (end of May), and close on Labor Day (beginning of September). But, that doesn't mean you cannot arrive before or after these dates. Here's a few things to think about.

3. Re: summer 2007 Alaska holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Cantwell