We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba question....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Scuba question....

Hello,

Just wondering, I know you can't fly after diving but does that include inter-island flights/hops?

We are planning on completing our open water dives for certification while on vacation and our travel agent has suggested doing this on Moorea. Which sounds great but it's also the island we have our shortest stay. (Arrive Thurs. am - all night flight - and depart for Huahine on Saturday @ 1:45pm).

Also, we were told we had to complete all 4 dives together... not spread them out. I thought you could? What about using the same scuba shop on the different islands?

Help - please. We leave in a on September 17 and need to decide what we're doing! :)

Thanks!

tahiti
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba question....

Ia Orana,

I would not recommend flying less than 12 hours after diving except on Papeete-Moorea legs. Air Tahiti flies ATR aicraft type which can climb up to 25,000 ft.

Therefore, I fear that your stay in Moorea would be too short for your OW certification.

Nana.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba question....

Gilles Petre runs Blue Nui Dive Centers on Bora Bora, Manihi, Tikehau and Tahaa. If you are going to those islands, I bet he would let you split the dives between islands, but I'm not sure if he has open water instructor on all the islands. You can google and find his website with his email if those islands are in your plans.

There are other dive shops that are on several islands, too. You could contact them and tell them the situation as well to see if you can split between islands.

Good luck!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba question....

Hmmmm, that was what I was thinking. Too many dives - too little time!

We are visiting Moorea (2 nights), Huahine (4 nights) and Bora Bora (5 nights). Is the Moorea/Huahine a short, low altitude like Moorea?

From what I read, TOPdive has scuba shops on these islands but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Are they a good shop?

Thanks!

tahiti
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba question....

>Is the Moorea/Huahine a short, low altitude like

>Moorea?

I fear not

>Are they a good shop?

Yes (I did not dive in Huahine)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba question....

Ia orana

only the air Moorea would break from their regular 800 Ft / 1000 Ft altitude should they know that they have divers on board.

For any other flight operated by Air tahiti, the Atr flies pressureized at a higher altitude, so no go unless passsed the 24 hour period after the dive.

Hope this helps

Meherio

6. Re: Scuba question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 14:33