We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

Suffolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

We have never been to Tahiti and Society Islands and are looking at doing a trip over Christmas 2013. We are a married couple in our late 40's traveling with no children. It seems the best value is a cruise, and you get to see more of the Islands. We looked at the Paul Gauguin Cruise vs Princess and both look great. Has anyone done either of these cruises or a resort that they enjoyed? We have about 11 days for time and just want to make the most of it and see everything that we can! Thanks for your thoughts!

1. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 November 2015, 14:21
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
344 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

We decided on a land holiday after looking at several cruise options.

I think you must stay in an OWB if you can.

If service and food is important to you then I would go on a cruise.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

Have you cruised before? Do you like cruising? For us, we're not cruisers; it's just a personal choice. I'd suggest determining a budget and then hitting up several travel agents for quotes. Compare the price of cruising with a 4-4-3 split on three islands (for a first trip, I'd look at Moorea/Bora Bora/Huahine or Moorea/Bora Bora + an atoll). One major disadvantage of cruising for me is that, while you certainly get exposed to lots of islands, you just get a very, very small taste.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

We took a Paul Gauguin cruise for our 25th anniversary--also a married couple in our late 40's traveling without children. We also spent three days post-cruise at the Moorea Hilton. If my schedule would have permitted, I would have liked to spend the three days BEFORE the cruise to relax and get more accustomed to the time zone (and it was only a three-hour change for us). We LOVED the cruise and I hope very much to sail with Paul Gauguin again someday.

I had my heart set on Tahiti for our anniversary and finally settled on the cruise. We have taken cruises before and do like them so it was not a big "culture shock" to consider it. We did enjoy seeing several different islands, even if the visits were short. One of the biggest factors for us was that the Paul Gauguin is all-inclusive. Especially on Bora Bora, once you are at your resort you can't just wander somewhere else. I did not want to spend my whole vacation thinking "Where are we going to eat dinner, and how are we going to get there, and OH MY GOD HOW MUCH IS THIS DRINK COSTING ME?"

To be sure, many of the restaurants on the islands will come collect you for dinner as most visitors do not have cars rented their entire stay. So really "how are we going to get there" isn't really an issue but in the end we found the Paul Gauguin to be a great value. We met lots of very interesting, well-traveled people. The Gauguines and Gauguins, the Tahitian hosts and hostesses (kind of assistant cruise directors) are a huge asset and make the cruise a little more "Tahitian".

California
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

We took a 10 day cruise (our first cruise) with the PG four years ago and loved it! It's a great way to see the islands. We also stayed two days at the Intercontinental in Tahiti in an overwater bungalow which I loved!

In fact, right now I'm very excited because we just booked another cruise on the PG for the end of March. This time we're staying two nights before in Moorea and five nights after at the Vahine Resort. Now for the waiting!

Have fun!!

California
Level Contributor
709 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

It's definitely personal preference. We've done a few cruises but we're not fans of them and would much rather spend the time on the islands getting a chance to meet the people and learn the culture. We were never able to do that on a cruise since you have limited time on each island. Plus, we prefer to eat at the local restaurants and roulettes rather than on a cruise ship with hundreds or thousands of other people. You just have to figure out your preferences and what you want to get out of the experience.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

I think I partly addressed this in my reply in the "What made you want to go to Bora Bora?" thread (tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g311415-i869-k6520…). I strongly recommend at least a few nights on one island in addition to the cruise. My guess is that you'll like what you see as you peruse the islands, catch the "Tahitian Flu", and return to experience your favorites in more depth and perhaps explore further afield.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

Ia orana

Cruise is definitely a great first time introduction to FP, As stated above with all the meals included, changing scenery without worrying about transfers, packing and unpacking each time you are changing island, a definite plus.

I would tag a couple of nights in an Overwater bungalow ( Moorea)

My only cruise experience was aboard the Wind Song, we absolutely loved it and can not wait to see the sight of these gracious sail boats back in FP next year.

Meherio

9. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:01
Edited: 10 August 2015, 06:01
10. Re: Best way to see Tahiti and the Islands, Cruise vs. Resort?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17