We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea or Tahaa?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Moorea or Tahaa?

Bora Bora is a must for us. Now we're just trying to decide between Moorea and Tahaa.

Wondering if anyone has an opinion about that?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

Personally I LOVE Moorea. and have a very hard time recommending any other island. :)

But...it also kinda depends on where you are planning to stay on Taha'a. If you're looking at Le Taha'a Resort...then I think your hotel experience will be fairly similar to that of Bora Bera and I'd opt for Moorea. If you're looking at staying at Vahine Island...then I'd say it's a real toss up between Taha'a and Moorea.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

I prefer the snorkeling and vibe of Tahaa over Moorea. We have stayed at Le Tahaa and I didn't think it was similar to my hotel experiences in Bora Bora, it was much more laid back and the snorkeling is some of the finest I've ever experienced. We also took a day trip over to the island and found it absolutely charming. While the Moorea Pearl is a good value, the OWB and food aren't nearly as good as at Le Tahaa IME.

California
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

Based on our last cruise on the PG, we're choosing to stay a few days pre-cruise on Moorea and several days post-cruise on Vahine Island when we go in March. I'm especially excited about our stay on Vahine Island as it sounds like it will be similar to what we experienced at Anastasis Apts. on Santorini in terms of service, food, and the kindest most wonderful hosts imaginable.

Fowey, England...
Level Contributor
24 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

It's a doddle getting to Moorea from Tahiti, and its a simple boat trip from Bora Bora to Tahaa - Moorea is more land-based, commercial and sophisticated , Tahaa is rural where they grow Vanilla and relax.

The sunset view from Tahaa picks up Bora Bora , and in my opinion Bora Bora is a bit overblown and commercial with too many resort complexes for the available space. But swimming / boating in the lagoon areas around all three are incredible , with fish and pearls.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

I like them both, but prefer Moorea. We stayed at Le Tahaa on Tahaa. It was lovely, the bungalows were gorgeous, the food was outstanding, and we had a helicopter transfer between Tahaa and Bora Bora that was out of this world. I enjoyed the coral gardens near the hotel, but found the water a little too shallow for my comfort zone; if you pick your resort with snorkeling in mind, I've found insanely good snorkeling experiences on Moorea at the Sofitel and the Hilton.

The Moorea Pearl can in no way be compared to Le Tahaa ;) I love the Moorea Pearl, but it's a smaller, more family oriented property. It has a lovely location for easy access to shopping and restaurants, but it doesn't have the sense of "elegant isolation in the South Pacific" that Le Tahaa has, nor are the bungalows or restaurants as swank. The restaurants and cocktails at Le Tahaa were to die for (their morning breakfast buffet was the best we'd ever seen), while we were not as enamored of the main restaurant at the Moorea Pearl. Of course, the price tag is also quite different!

It really depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. Do you want to leave the resort for excursions? Do you want to be able to explore different restaurants? Are you looking for a barefoot elegance/luxury experience, or are you looking for something a little livelier and with more local color?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

Thanks to all for your responses. We want to get away from civilization. Gorgeous views and great snorkeling are a must. I would also like to enjoy some spa treatments. We're not much for organized tours/activities. At present, I'm leaning towards Tahaa.

California
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

vahine-island.com/resort-hotel-tahiti/bora-b… Check out Vahine Island Resort.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

Le Tahaa has a lovely, lovely spa :) If you want to get away from it all, that would be an excellent spot. I've never been to Vahine Island, so can't speak for that one.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

I had planned to go to Vahine next year instead of returning to Le Tahaa but the reviews are certainly mixed. One thing everyone seems to agree on is the great food at Vahine but that the accommodations at Le Tahaa are much better.

To throw a monkey wrench in your works, you might want to look at Ninamu. I've stayed at the FS Bora Bora, IC Bora Bora, Moorea Pearl, Le Tahaa, Kia Ora and a few other places around FP and have found nothing as amazing as Ninamu even though it doesn't have the spa/luxe/OWB factor. The snorkeling in the manta ray sanctuary and at several area coral gardens was amazing as was the fishing and pink sand beaches.

However I will say that the best snorkeling in FP for me was at Kia Ora in Rangiroa, followed by the coral garden off Le Tahaa, although it is tricky snorkeling there, and you need good buoyancy control, preferably without fins due to the shallowness.

California
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moorea or Tahaa?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309693-d302152… These reviews don't seem mixed to me. Are you looking at a different site?