We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights in Papeete

San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Two nights in Papeete

We are going on the 10-day Princess cruise and will be staying 2 nights in Papeete (Oct 8th-9)

I'm looking at 2 choices for the room: The IC is $300 a night and the other airport hotel is $180 a night. Is it worth paying extra and staying at the InterContinental?

While we are there, I would like to see the island. Is there a bus I can take from the hotel area (Le Truck?) or should I just enjoy the area around the hotel?

Where is the best place to buy souvenirs (t-shirts, mugs, magnets, etc)? On the other islands, at the hotel, boat or markets? We will not have any time when we return from the cruise.

I've read the other posts about the duty free stores for liquor and we like to have a little drink when possible, lol... we are traveling from Sydney to Papeete. Is it better to buy the liquor at the Sydney airport and bring as a carryon to Papeete (is that allowed?)

Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two nights in Papeete

I checked the IC site they show no rooms available.

Take a tour of the island ask at your hotel.

Go to the Marche in Tahiti big shopping center for

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two nights in Papeete

Le Marche is an awesome experience.

While I think you would have to take a cab, the Radisson Plaza Resort is very nice. We had to taxis and the cost of those was a little high, but the beach is really pretty and you can walk up the hill from there to a nice viewpoint of the water, etc.

I think they will give you your duty free order at the gate (if it's like the states) so buy it there if you can and take it. I think you will save that way.

Have fun!

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two nights in Papeete

The Intercontinetal has a great pool and nice restaurant. Personally I would rather stay there then the airport Motel.You may want to contact them direct if the website shows no availabilty. I agree best place to buy souvenirs is the Marche or the Carreforr supermarket which is close to the IC. Yes get your Liquor at the duty free shop in Sydney. You are allowed 1 liter of hard liquor per person. It is also fun to rent a car to see the island. Once you are out of the city center there is really not much traffice and you can also see Tahiti Iti that way. Quite enjoyable.

Regards BO

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
San Diego...
Level Contributor
230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two nights in Papeete

Thank you all! I did call directly and they had a garden room. Are the super markets (Carefour, Marche) close by? Do we have to take Le Truck? I heard the food at the restaurant is very expensive and we are "trying" to be economical.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two nights in Papeete

Nope, it isn't near by but Le Truck is cheap and will take you into town and back cheap. Go to The roulettes down by the pier to eat, great deals.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two nights in Papeete

You can walk to the Carrefour Supermarket from the IC. It's about a 15-minute walk. My husband and I did it both mornings we were there. Eat breakfast at the Le Chocolatine cafe in the little mall near Carrefour. The croissants and coffee were great, and we loved eating at a "local" cafe.

7. Re: Two nights in Papeete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:18