We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Unfortunately with our flight change we won't be staying in IC on Tahiti island (where I heard the best shows are), so I'm looking for show recommendations on Moorea (Sat-Tue) or Bora Bora (Wed-Sat).

We stay in IC hotels (Le Moana on Bora Bora).

I've seen shows on Hawaii, and I can see it again in Feb :), so I'm looking for a unique high quality show, good food would be a great bonus, nice settings and atmosphere would be preferable.

Can anybody give a recommendation?

I was reading about show at Tiki Village and it has mixed reviews, so I wonder if there is any other better alternative.

Thanks,

Anna

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

IMHO the best show is in Moorea at the Tiki Village. You can choose dinner and show or show only.

Regards BO

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Thanks for the recommendations! Do they run show every day?

What day would be best - we have Sat-Tue on Moorea, but we probably will be very tired by Sat night.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Hi hi,

Here is their website with info....just click on the USA flag on the site if you need to translate the site to english.

http://www.tikivillage.fr/en/accueil.html

In my estimation:

The show is great at the Tiki Village, but the venue itself is pretty run down and the food is just ok. The pareu tying demonstration is fantastic! They also give you alot of info on the culture during the tour. Again, the show is great...it's fun to watch all the local kids in the audience watching their parents dance too. :)

sunny regards,

shully

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Thank you very much for the link!

Seems like Tue (last day on Moorea and my BDay :)) will be the best, because I think we'll be very tired on Sat after flights.

"The greatest Polynesian Show is every Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 8.45 pm"

Do you recommend to make a reservation now? (we'll be there in two weeks) or make it when we get to a hotel on Sat Nov 5th?

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

You dont need reservations. The concierge can do that at the hotel. Also, last year, a rep from Tiki Village met our hotel transfer and had special offers that beat booking thru the hotel. You will enjoy the show. btw, my photo was taken at Tiki Village. Guess I can blend in well, lol

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
291 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Tiki Village show is great but I didn't like the food! (As evident in my review...)

If you're going to have a rental car one of those days, consider driving yourselves to the village. We had to wait a while to catch a ride back after the show.

For Bora Bora, I suggest the show and buffet dinner at Sofitel Marara (walking distance from Le Moana). I believe we went on a Friday night. My husband says that was the best meal during our trip. The food was amazing and the show was great! Attractive dancers, too--not like at Tiki Village, lol...

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

You might consider eating dinner nearby and then doing just the show at Tiki Village, especially if you have a rental car that day. I highly reommend Le Mayflower restaurant for your pre-show meal, located near Le Petit Village, not far from Tiki Village.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

I was planning on renting a car for one day, but I was worry it would be too late to return the car after the show - if it starts at 8:45 pm most likely we'll be back around 11 pm. Will car rental be open at that time?

But if they charge daily rate for 24 hours we might return it next morning.

Thank you very much for suggestions, we plan to explorer good places to eat in Moorea, because on Bora Bora we have dinner included and plan to eat at Le Moana and more upscale sister IC resort.

Can you recommend other good places to eat on Moorea? I'll run the search as well, just finalizing details little by little. :)

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

You can rent it around noon one day and return it at noon the next day. That way you actually have it for a good part of 2 days. Do keep in mind many restaurants on Moorea have free pick up, so you won't need a car the other nights.

My opinion on Tahitian dance shows in general.....most are NOT professional shows like you find in Hawaii. Most are family shows...grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins...some dance, some sing, some play the instruments. The dances aren't always perfect....and some of the dancers seem more than a bit shy and unsure of themselves.....these are not high quality professional productions. BUT...there is something totally charming and endearing about them....especially when they have some of their very small children in the shows. Many tourists are disappointed in the quality of these shows...comparing them to what they are used to seeing in Hawaii. But you have to realize you are comparing apples and oranges.

There are a couple professional quality shows...the very best being the one at the IC on Tahiti and next best being the one at Tiki Village on Moorea. All the others are put on by local families and can vary quite a bit in quality...although, in my opinion, they are absolutely charming. As with a great many things in life....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 19:26
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best show to catch: Moorea (Sat-Tue), Bora Bora (Wed-Sat)

Thank you very much for suggestions, we'll try to stay flexible - now I read weather-related topics and looking for weather forecast, and seems like it can affect our plans on what to see and when, so we'll see how it goes, but it's nice to see the options we have upfront :)

Get answers to your questions about Tahiti
Recent Conversations