We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princess vs P.G

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Princess vs P.G

We are currently planning a trip to Tahiti Feb. or March 2013. Never been to South Pacific and live in Alberta Canada. Spent many hours reading all your expert advice on these boards and think our best way to spend our time will be a cruise followed by a stay with OWB in Moorea. Flights and PG cruise don’t have their prices out yet. As we research we understand you get what you pay for and wondering has anyone done both P.G. and Princess Ocean and how they compare? We would be looking at a 7-11 night cruise and understand that PG is all inclusive for alcohol along with smaller, more luxurious and more expensive. Am I missing anything? I am also prone to motion sickness and will wear a patch, is Princess better because it is larger for motion? Your comments are extremely appreciated, DGK

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princess vs P.G

Having done the PGC only I can say it's a fabulous experience.

Regards BO

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princess vs P.G

I've done them both (Princess in 2005 & 2010, PG in 2011) and when we do it again we will be goingwith the PG. I like the all inclusive, the service is better, the food is better and there is way more 'Tahitian' feel on the PG.

You will experience a bit of rolling on wither crusie line if you venture over to an atoll or the Cooks.

Yes it is more money for the PG but in my opinion it's worht the extra dough ...........

Edited: 19 January 2012, 21:14
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Princess vs P.G

Thank you both for your quick response . It will be very interesting to see the difference in cost once posted. I have been researching for so long now and can't wait to get it finalized. Which PG itinerary did you cruise on ? If we can go with PG we may do the 7 night just because of timing and motion sickness. . Any comments on the different itineraries ? Thanks so much, Donna

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Princess vs P.G

On Princess we did the Society islands and Rarotonga (to rough, we couldn't get off) & Society & Rangiora. On the PG we did the Society & Cook Islands and we had great weather and were able to see Rarotonga and Aitutaki.

Once you add all the tossed in extras that the PG covers to the Princess tab it isn't that different as far as the price. The PG includes:

Airfare

transfers

Day room upon arrival including breakfast

Bar tab

Tips

a few motu excursions

Day room upon departure day

It adds up

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Princess vs P.G

We are also debating 11 night French Polynesia/ Marqueses Oceania cruise April 2013 or PG cruise. I’m not a big drinker so I’m leaning towards Oceania. Oceania is more upscale then Princess and all non-alcoholic beverages are included. Less expensive then PG. I think if you want a true Tahitian experience PG is your best bet.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Princess vs P.G

We are also debating 11 night French Polynesia/ Marqueses Oceania cruise April 2013 or PG cruise. I’m not a big drinker so I’m leaning towards Oceania. Oceania is more upscale then Princess and all non-alcoholic beverages are included. Less expensive then PG. I think if you want a true Tahitian experience PG is your best bet.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Princess vs P.G

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment, Donna

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Princess vs P.G

Donna / Emtoes

Great price on that Oceania cruise, however ...........

Keep in mind that the PG only carrys 320 passangers verses 650 for Princess and 1250 for Oceania. Some of the small islands don't have the infrastructure for the big ships. Islands such as Huahine, Rangiroa (2400 people) & the Marquesas just aren't prepared for big crowds. The PG does not have this problem, a huge plus!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
420 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Princess vs P.G

We did a 11 day renaissance cruise ( now re organized as Oceania) of society island back in 2001. It was very good.

The food in Princess is not too appealing at all.

My vote is for PG or Oceania (forget about princess)

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
343 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Princess vs P.G

After all our readings we decided that the P.G. for us will be our number one choice. Now we just need the final pricing to be revealed to make sure it is affordable. I did read previously they include air from L.A.??? We were originally thinking of combining it with a trip to Fiji and now wonder if that would even be possible if we did P.G. and they included a special with flights. Thank you again for all your expert advice, Donna