We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air tahiti Stop over

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Air tahiti Stop over

We are stopping in Tahiti for 3 night and have the choice of the raddisson, le meridien, ,sheraton, intercontinental or sofitel resorts on tahiti. ( run of house rooms)

We want a quite resort with clean rooms and relaxing atmosphere but also dont want to spend heaps on food etc so want it to be assessable to local transport and we have a late night flight out so not miles from the airport.

Which one would is the most appropriate?

I have been reading the forums and all of the hotels especially Le meridien seem to have mixed reviews, what is the current situation at this hotel? Has it been renovated recently?

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

Hi Shaz,

The IC is considered the nicest of the hotels you mentioned. Also, if you are there Wed, Fri or Sat, they have the best dance troupe on the islands performing there.

Le Meridien has a sand bottom pool which is nice.

The Sheraton has a nice spa.

The Sofitel, well it is less expensive than the others.

With all the hotels, you can walk out the front door to the street and catch Le Truck. In terms of proximity to downtown Papeete, the order is: Sheraton, IC, Sofitel, Le Meridien

Hope that helps.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

Thanks for the info.

Is being so close to the airport a problem for the IC? Do you know if the "basic" run of house rooms are effected by the airport noise?

What about food at the IC is there local shops near by ? to the le trucks run at night from the IC?

Cheers

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

I have stayed at the Sofitel several times, each time only because I had a layover in Tahiti after coming from elsewhere. As suggested, it is pretty basic, but I've never had a BAD experience there. It is clean, it is relaxing. The rooms are a bit small.

There are two things to recommend it in your case: It is indeed in Faaa, close to the airport so you will save a bit on taxi fare, and it has a nice pool and decent beach.

It is also steps away from Carre-Foure, so you can go and get yourselves a bite to eat or a couple of beers. Otherwise, one must eat in the hotel's restaurants, or hop on Le Truck for the fairly long ride into town. The hotel restaurants are just "ok".

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

Hi,

We stayed at the radisson on 1 trip and the Le Meridian on another.. We absolutely loved the Radisson and were not too terribly impressed w/ the le meridian.. I think it is really a matter of opinion.. The radisson was out of town and had the most beautiful black sand beach and views of Moorea. We liked it for being out of town....

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

Hi Shaz,

In my first response, I completely overlooked the fact you also mentioned the Radisson. I really like the Radisson a lot. In fact it is my favorite of all the hotels. Nice rooms, all have an ocean view and a nice spa, pool and black sand beach. It is just farther from town but they do have a shuttle. As long as you are flying at night you don't need to worry about commute traffic thru town.

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

Le truck service at night is sporadic in my experience. No problem during the day but I would taxi at night. I don't think airport noise will be an issue.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

Quite true that Le Truck service is sporadic (at best) at night.

As to airport noise...that is something I neglected to mention. The Sofitel is RIGHT UNDERNEATH the departure pattern for the airport. It can be noisy on the beach.

8. Re: Air tahiti Stop over

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 23:17