We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time - Tahiti and Moorea

Framingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
First time - Tahiti and Moorea

Hi All,

I am a first timer to FP coming only for 4 days. I arrive March 5 at 6 AM and thinking of going directly to Moorea using a flight and using the transfer vouchers from airline. 2 days later, on March 7, come back to Papeete and then leave on March 9 at 2 PM.

(1) Is the Papeete-Moorea flight cheaper to buy there and is it easily available? I am getting a price of $70 one way if I buy it here but only afternoon flights are available and I don't want to spend half a day lugging the luggage around.

(2) How far is the Moorea Ferry terminal from Papeete airport and how much will it cost to get there?

(3) Are Ferry tickets to Moorea easily available? How much do they cost? Where can I buy them in advance?

(4) If I use the Ferry, should I arrange transportation to take me to hotel in advance or just grab a taxi?

I am planning to stay at Pension Motu Iti on Moorea and Relais Fenua in Tahiti.

Thanks in advance everyone for any help you can give.

Mahendra

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time - Tahiti and Moorea

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

(1) The Moorea flight may be cheaper to buy there but you are taking a big risk on availability of seats; there are only a few flights to Moorea a day and the flights are often full. If the morning flights are not showing as available online, there will not be seats when you arrive. Also, if you buy a local ticket, your luggage allowance will be reduced to 10 kilos instead of 20 kilos, although you can pay a small excess luggage fee if you are overweight.

(2) The Moorea ferry terminal is a few miles away from the airport and you can easily get there by taxi, which should cost $15-20 after 6 a.m.

(3) You do not need to buy ferry tickets in advance; just get there about 20 minutes before departure time. Availability of seating will not be a problem.

(4) If you use the ferry, you should arrange for transportation by transport service in advance on Moorea to take you to your hotel. Contact Torea Nui, Albert's Transport, or Moorea Explorer. A taxi will be more expensive on Moorea than a transport van.

Hope this helps!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time - Tahiti and Moorea

I would not split a stay with so short of time. Go straight to Moorea and stay there the whole time. You should be able to get a flight back to PPT in time to leave on your 2pm international flight out.

Agree that you should book your flights now. Don't wait.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time - Tahiti and Moorea

Take a ferry to Moorea fast and modern, eccept the big truck ferry. Go on deck for arrival and departure. Le truck meets the ferries in Moorea travel with the locals.

http://www.aremiti.net

4. Re: First time - Tahiti and Moorea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:21