We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

Anyone know if i can bring alcohol in my baggage from LAX duty-free shop to Bora Bora?

California
Level Contributor
640 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

When you purchase alcohol at LAX duty free, they'll give you your purchase at the gate as you're about to board your flight. So you won't be able to put it in your checked luggage. Your purchase will be in a sealed bag and they've never counted that bag as a carry on for us.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

Any problem taking that sealed bag on the flight to Bora Bora?

California
Level Contributor
640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

No problem at all since they have no restrictions on liquids on Air Tahiti inter-island flights. Enjoy your vacation!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

Thanks for your help!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

any issue just packing it in luggage for lax to tahiti flight??

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

You mean packing your own rather than buying at Duty Free? Nope, no problem at all. Just be sure to watch the weight of your luggage because they do have fairly strict weigh limits on the inter-island flights. Plus, be sure you pack it securely so the bottles don't break all over your clothes. I like to use my seal-a-meal vacuum sealer to vacuum seal the bottles....so if they do happen to break, the liquid is confined. Then I pack them in the center of my suitcase surround by clothes. I've never had a bottle break.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 05:27
Huntington Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

Is there a limit to how much you can put in your suitcase if you stay under 44 lbs or 55 lbs with scuba card? Like 1.75 L. Any issues with transfering or coming back for an inter island flight?

Can I pack some in my suitcase and use duty free both?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

Derek,

I had no issues bringing duty free alcohol from LAX to Tahiti. Also no problem inter-island as they have no restrictions on liquids.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

The duty free ends up being a carry-on because your checked luggage is already on the plane. not sure of an limits but one or two bottles was not an issue.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing alcohol from LAX duty free to Bora Bora?

The duty free limit is 2 litres which would be regardless of whether it's packed in your suitcase or purchased at a duty free store and carried on.

If your Bora Bora flight commences in Papeete then there is a scanner at the domestic departure area for hand luggage etc. I wouldn't be confident that your duty free can be carried on there, but there is no checking process at Moorea or Huahine.

To pack liquor in checked luggage I'd use a neoprene wine bottle carrier or bubble wrap for padding (and seal it as suggested above if you have the equipment to do so) and I'd only pack it near the centre of a hard sided case.