We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfalls in Tahiti

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waterfalls in Tahiti

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon to Tahiti, Moorea and Bora Bora for Jun 2015. We are really into the outdoors. We are interested in seeing the waterfalls and other beautiful landmarks. What are the best options for seeing the waterfalls? Are there specific hikes of 4x4 excursions? Does anyone have specific companies/names? And possible prices? Any other suggestions for what to do while in Tahiti? Thanks!

Chico, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

There are a couple waterfalls on the east side of Moorea that are fairly easy to hike to, and they don't require a guide. Moorea also has many hiking trails that give beautiful views of the island and lagoon - all can be done without a guide. Bora Bora does not have any waterfalls that I'm aware of.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

Thanks for the info! Are you familiar with any hiking and waterfalls in Tahiti?

Chico, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

I've only hiked to the first waterfall of what I believe is called Les Trois Cascades on the northeast side of Tahiti. The parking lot is not too far off the main circle island road, then it is maybe an easy 10-minute walk on a nice trail to the first waterfall. My favorite though is Afereaitu Falls on Moorea, which has a shallow swimming hole. Being under the waterfall is like standing underneath a nice cool shower, which is very refreshing when it is hot and humid. Various Tahiti travel books have more specific information about hiking and waterfalls - I have found that some authors focus a little more on this than others, so you'll have to skim through a couple to find one that is more geared to what you are looking for. Or you can find as good, if not better information on various websites.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
273 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

All waterfalls are at there best in the wet season not in the middle of the dry season. Make sure they are flowing before hiking. Most tourist photos are taken in the wet season.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

Thank you for the info. Now I am leaning more towards Moorea and Bora Bora instead of Tahiti and Bora Bora.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

I definitely recommend Moorea and Bora Bora. Tahiti is more of a stopover for flying in/out than a destination.

Big Pine Key...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

You really can't go wrong with Tahiti or Moorea! I just returned from several months working and traveling in French Polynesia and there are some amazing places to explore, both on your own or with guides. For sure I'd recommend the Hitia'a Lava Tubes in Tahiti - Check out my blog with photos here: offpathtravel.com/hitiia/

The fautaua valley in Tahiti is also an amazing hike and a lot shorter. Good Luck!

8. Re: Waterfalls in Tahiti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:17