We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

I heard this. Can anyone confirm or deny???? Further info?

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

It was closed temporarily in Jan/Feb due to very heavy rain and risk of rock slides... let me see what I can find out.

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

Victoria, it is still closed due to rock slides…

Alternatives: lac Vahiria (in the middle of Tahiti nui with a tour), les 3 cascades de Faarumai… but it will be impossbile to get there with public transportation, rental car would be only option…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

Thanks for the info :( any other nature stuff closer to the city and easier to do?

Punaauia, French...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

Yes and No to it being closed. The trail to the top of the falls requires you to cross the river. There is a bridge that is broken that used to be the official way to cross the river. Due to the broken bridge the Papeete Town Hall will not sell permits to do the hike and will probably tell you that it is closed if you ask.

You can ford the river without the bridge. You can get across the river using the remains of the bridge but it is a bit sporting. There is nothing to stop you hiking the trail to the top of the falls; lots of people do just that. I went at the end of July: www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php…

The hike to the base of the falls does not require you to cross the bridge. However, you do need to ford the river several times up stream of the broken bridge.

So, the hike is open for business but you can't get a permit from the Town Hall any more.

5. Re: Fautaua waterfalls CLOSED???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16