We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Tahiti...

san diego
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Tahiti...

Hi All

I have been eyeing the direct flights on sale from LAX. If we only had 5 nights to stay in Tahiti and wanted to keep our costs at about 2500 per person, where would you recommend we stay? This includes which area of Tahiti should we stay. We really don't have to stay in an overwater bungalow, just looking for a nice first time experience to the islands.

Thanks!!

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

Do you want to stay on Tahiti for five nights? My choice would be to take a ferry to Moorea and stay there for five nights. I've only stayed at the IC Moorea, which we loved, but I'm sure others will give suggestions.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

For a first time do 2 nights Tahiti and 3 moorea. Or 1 Tahiti and 4 moorea. I just wouldn't recommend all 5 nights on Tahiti. To get those crystal clear blue lagoon waters you see in the pictures, then you have to go to the other islAnds. Moorea is simply stunning !!! You can take a cheap ferry ride over and find accommodation to suit most budgets.

You should do it if flights are good. It's truly paradise :-)

Lorio

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

For a gorgeous beach and that picture perfect water, I'd recommend the Sofitel Moorea. Even their least expensive bungalows are set in gorgeous gardens.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
344 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

Bora Bora is the prize or the outer islands. I would encourage you to go there. Perhaps look at at Air Tahiti multi island pass and go to some of the cheaper islands with 2 days max in BB to save money.

We found it was just a little bit more to include other islands then to just fly to BB.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

I agree with other posters on staying in Moorea. Just an easy 30 to 45 minute ferry ride away. If your flight arrives in the pm or leaves early am then you are forced to spend one night in Tahiti. If you decide to stay in Tahiti all 5 nights the Intercontinental and LeMeridien are a good choice. The LM has a very small beach and quite a nice sand bottom pool, newly renovated rooms and a bit of shopping and restaurants within a 15 minute walk. They also often have entertainment. Fabulous views of Moorea. The IC also has great views of Moorea and a wonderful pool.

As for Moorea I would check into the Sofitel for the beach and the Pearl for the great location with access to the village of Maharepa. Just a 10 minute walk to shops and eateries.

Regards BO

san diego
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

Thanks all! Does anyone have any booking tips- book on our own or go through an agency? I've been looking at some of the Costco deals. Any advice? Companies you'd recommend?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,323 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

I would price it out in your own just so you at least know whether you're getting a deal, but Costco and other packages from LAX that include airfare can be real bargains.

Personally I enjoy Bora Bora more than Moorea, but airfare can eat into your budget and Moorea lodgings are less expensive too. If you can make BB work within your budget that would be hands down my first choice but if not Moorea would certainly be a great option. On Moorea I would go with the Pearl first and Sofitel second, I am not a fan of the IC because of the captive dolphins and also more corporate and less Polynesian vibe than the Pearl. The snorkeling just off the Pearl is quite good.

8. Re: 5 nights in Tahiti...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Tahiti
Recent Conversations