We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

Dallas
8 posts
Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

I am hoping for some type of definitive answer, as I keep changing my mind on which way to go. Should we take the ferry or the plane from Papeete to Moorea?

If we take the ferry:

1. How much is the taxi from the Papeete airport to the docks?

2. How much will it cost for a taxi from the docks in Moorea to the Intercontinental hotel?

Are both option about the same price, with the higher airfare and the cheaper hotel transfers, versus the higher taxi fares and the cheaper ferry. If that is the case, which is the best experience? We have never been to French Polynesia, and are so excited. We arrive into Papeete at 6:30am.

I really appreciate your opinions and advice! Thank you for the help.

1. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2008, 06:38
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

There are pros and cons to each! We personally prefer to take the flight to Moorea, and here's why: You are already at the airport, it's a short walk across a parking lot to the Air Moorea terminal, and it takes just 7 minutes to get to Moorea. When you check-in at the Air Moorea counter, you can purchase transfer tickets for 600 cpf per person each way that will give you transportation by van from the Moorea Airport to your hotel. This is MUCH cheaper than a taxi! (Make sure to buy enough for your return from your hotel to the Moorea Airport, e.g., 4 tickets for 2 people, because they don't sell the transfers on Moorea. You just call the number on the ticket the day before your departure to schedule your pickup.)

A taxi from the PPT airport to the ferry dock will cost between $18 and $25 at 6:30 a.m. A taxi from the Moorea Airport to the IC will cost about $40-$45. It would be cheaper to take le truck (a local bus) for about $3 a person, but this is slow and a hassle if you have big luggage. Another option is to contact a local tour agency like Marama Tours or Tekura Travel and prepay for your transfers to and from the ferry dock. (Generally, this is a fee between $14 and $20, but charged per person, and is slightly more expensive than two people in one taxi.)

Some folks prefer the ferry because of the awesome views approaching Moorea, but I also love the views from the air! After flying all night, you will probably be anxious to get where you are going (at least we usually are), and the flights will get you there quicker and easier, with less schlepping of the luggage. I love the ferry, but prefer to take it back and forth on a day trip to Papeete from Moorea without my luggage with me, and when I am not jet-lagged!

One thing you should be aware of is that you will be arriving on Moorea early in the morning, most likely before your room is ready (generally, not until early afternoon), and you may have some sitting-around-the-pool waiting time until you can check in. Either make an arrangement beforehand with the IC for an early check-in (if available), or make sure you pack in your carry-on some lighter clothes or swimsuit and sunscreen to have available before you can unpack.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I agree -- there are pros and cons to both methods.

We just came back 3 weeks ago from Moorea -- we took the Aremiti V from Papeete to Moorea and it was just as beautiful as I remembered -- seeing those big green mountains rise up out of the ocean and sliding into Viare harbor -- heaven! It was so comfortable and since it was a very windy day, we couldn't go up top, but the huge picture windows gave us a great view of the flying fish and fishing boats along the way.

On the way back - took Air Moorea back to Faa'a -- while I am a nervous flyer (and the recent tragedy was in my mind also) -- it was smooth, fast and we landed before you knew it!

We had a rental car with Avis, my hubby dropped me off at the ferry dock with the luggage, drove the car to downtown Avis and walked back to the ferry dock - easy!

I'm sure someone will be able to help you on the cost of a taxi from Faa'a to the ferry docks.

Malama Pono,

Janet

KAP
USA
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
330 reviews
4. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

Your hotel probably can book a transfer for you on the Moorea end (much cheaper) if you take the ferry. But if I wasn't staying in Tahiti for a night, I would opt to fly.

Also note that booking right at the airport is cheaper than booking in advance from the States, if you want to take the chance.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
151 reviews
5. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

Ia orana

FP differs from any other destinations in the world

the hotel do not arrange for the transfers.

Best deal around is to take the flight (at least one way to Moorea) and purchase the transfer vouchers ( round trip ) at 600 CFP francs per person to any point of the island. These are only sold at the Air moorea counter at papeete airport

the ferries are indieed cheaper from the get go, but you need to price out the taxi ride to the pier and the transfer cost from the pier on Moorea.

Enjoy FP

meherio

KAP
USA
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
330 reviews
6. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

The hotels do not operate shuttle service. However, they can (and will) book transfers for you through and independent company.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
433 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

Another thing to factor in is the weight restrictions on baggage on the flights. We took the ferry to Moorea because we were taking a lot of stuff with us! It was our first visit to Tahiti, and because we didn't know what the alcohol and grocery choices would be, we took a lot of our own with us. But for our next visit (to Bora Bora and one another TBD island) we'll be flying interisland, and so will have to meet the weight restrictions!

Hope you're enjoying the storms moving thru your area today. I lived in the Dallas area (Irving and Euless) for 7 years. I really miss thunder and lightening...all we get in Seattle is boring rain.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

I've been to Moorea several times and there are pros and cons to the way to get there and back. Personally one of my fondest memories is the ragged mountains of Moorea shooting out from the waters while you cruise over on the ferry, this is especially true if you take an early ferry over.

I would go through the hasle of taking to ferry over and then catch the fligt back so your already at the airport, the best of both .......

9. Re: Papeete to Moorea: Ferry or plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 08:18