We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

perscription drugs in carry on

california
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
perscription drugs in carry on

I need to take a perscription skin cream in a 4 ounce tube on my trip. Will I be allowed to take it in my carry on luggage? So many regulations now about liquid and creams in one's carry on.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: perscription drugs in carry on

Hello ryanandsophia

If you get somebody very picky at the security check they could make it an issue. These days it's best to go with the rules to avoid any problems. Many times the doctor that prescribed your medication is able to give you a sample tube or a pharmacist can supply a container that holds the right amount.

Regards Bo

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: perscription drugs in carry on

It is so hit and miss with what they will take from you and what they will let go by. Half the time lately I forget to even take my ziploc bag full out my liquids out of my carry one and they haven't said a word. Obviously they have seen it on the x-ray. Usually when I do take out my ziploc bag full of stuff to see, they don't examine it very closely at all. But....they still do sometimes.

You could try to carry it on, in hopes they won't spot the fact that it is 4 oz. Or you could bring along with a copy of the prescription, in hopes that might help. But....technically it is over the 3 ounce rule, so they could take it from you. If you can get a smaller trial size tube from your Dr, that would be perfect. I would highly suggest you give that a try. Otherwise, you might want to just pack it in your checked luggage.

Seattle
Level Contributor
392 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: perscription drugs in carry on

The answer to your question is on the TSA website...you are allowed prescription medicine over 3 ozs. Put any prescriptions in a separate baggie from the other 3oz liquids you are carrying on.

tsa.gov/travelers/…2

Quote below from above website.

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers, in the absence of suspicious activity or items, greater than 3 ounces of the following liquids, gels and aerosols are permitted through the security checkpoint in reasonable quantities for the duration of your itinerary (all exceptions must be presented to the security officer in front of the checkpoint):

Baby formula, breast milk, and juice for infants and toddlers.

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;

Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;

Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,

Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are allowed reasonable amounts over 3 ounces of the items above in your carry-on baggage, but you will need to perform the following:

Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.

Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.

Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

4. Re: perscription drugs in carry on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 11:19