We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Vernon Hills...
Level Contributor
137 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Ok.. hopefully this isnt a stupid question and I get a couple decent answers. So I'm planning this trip to Moorea for the beginning of July. The only thing I am looking forward to is the snorkeling. Ive read all the great things about the snorkeling around the Sheraton. However, based on the few pictures Ive seen, it doesnt look as if there are any really big reefs and coral formations. Just scattered formations here and there.

Last year I snorkeled in Maui. It was the first time I had ever snorkeled right off the beach. Tons of different beaches all with huge coral formations. I really enjoyed it and can only assume that it has to be among some of the best reefs and coral formations in the world.

Therefore, Maui is the standard for me when it come to snorkeling. Am I setting the bar too high? Or will Moorea put Maui to shame when it comes to snorkeling. I look forward to your opinions. Thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
348 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Moorea is absolutely, without a doubt, 1000 times better for snorkeling than Maui. Way more fish, way more coral, way, way, way more colorful coral in the Moorea waters. But be careful, Moorea will spoil the Hawaiian islands for you! We've snorkeled all around Maui, Kauai, and the big island, and every time we look at each other and say it's nothing compared to Moorea!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Been to both many times, and MOOREA wins, hand down, over Maui!!

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Ditto Barbie

I have also been to both. Moorea wins.

Regards BO

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Never been to Maui but I did stay at the Sheraton Moorea for 10 days, first thing in the morning the water is like glass were snorkel gear isn't even required and loaded with lots of sea life. Although the coral formations aren't massive structures the 1000's upon 1000's of pieces will keep you snokelling for the entire trip +

Hope this helps...

marc

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Haven't been to Maui, but Moorea has awesome snorkeling. Some of the best snorkeling I have done is right off the shore at the Sofitel. Definitely do the sting ray/black tip reef shark feeding, its probably the best day trip you will ever do.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Overall Moorea is better, however, Maui does have a few very good spots. Honolua has some good coral & fish on the west side of the cove.

So to answer vthe question, Moorea wins but then again, Moorea doesn't come close to Bora Bora .....

Gotcha thinkin' now .........

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

oh yeah, almost forgot about Ahini Bay on Maui, pretty good stuff ........

Vernon Hills...
Level Contributor
137 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

thanks for all the resposnses everyone. thats just what i was hoping to hear.

yeah tiki we wanted to go to bora bora, but we are traveling standby all the way from chicago. i was worried about getting on a flight from ppt-bob so we decided on moorea. plus it was a lot more $$.

when we went to maui last year kapalua and honolua were a couple of my favorite spots out there.

i look forward to this trip and cant wait!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

While on Moorea, make sure you take the shark/ray feeding motu picnic trip. That is something far beyond anything you will will experience on Maui. Not only will you have an amazing time with the sharks and rays, but also... while on the picnic part...the snorkeling in the channel between the 2 motus is great.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better snorkeling... Moorea or Maui?

Yes Patti, betwen the 2 motus is a great place ....