We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

vancouver
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

I'm currently looking at a package which includes 3 nights at the Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora and 3 nights at the Sofitel Marara Bora Bora.

The price seems quite good, but doesn't include meals, to add meals its $600 per island, or $100 per person per night.

If we didn't take the meal plan are there any cheaper places to eat within reasonable walking distance of these resorts?

I've seen other postings sayin burger and fries (wouldn't want to eat that while on vacation however) can cost $30. Is everything really terribly expensive?

Also with these resorts, is it possible to walk along the coast to find a more quiet/secluded beach then it will directly outside the resort?

Thanks

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

To answer your question...yes what you have heard is true. While my fiance and I were vacationing in Bora Bora and Tahiti the prices were not cheap. We even went to the local grocery store to purchase some bread, cheese, wine and snacks to help alleviate the cost but the grocery stores were also expensive.

Just a cost comparative: Lunch at a local hotspot was 80 USD. This was for 2 sandwiches and 2 beers and a small appetizer.

If your hotel offers a continental breakfast, take it!!! It really helps cut down the cost. We would take bread and small plates of fruit back to our room and store it in the fridge. :)

You will also find that room service is much cheaper than going to the restaurant at the hotel...Odd but true.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

There is really nothing foodwise (restaurants or markets) within walking distance of the Sofitel Moorea. There are some places (a few restaurants and a market) within walking distance of the Sofitel on Bora Bora.

Yes, it really is that expensive to eat there. About the only way to help beat the price is to buy some food and drinks at the local market.

Quiet secluded beaches???....no, not really. First off, all of the land on the islands is privately owned...so once you are off the hotel property, you will be trespassing on someones property, pretty much in their back yard...and many people have dogs. Secondly there really aren't that many beaches on the islands. Mostly just the ones at the hotels and a few nice public ones.....on Moorea, Temae Beach, is right next door to the Sofitel, and one on Bora Bora, Matira Beach, about a 15 minutes walk away from the Sofitel. Much of the rest of the shoreline tends to be just a rocky drop off into the lagoon, rather than a nice sandy beach area.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

There are some restaurants that will pick you up at the hotels on Moorea. We did this when staying at the Intercontinental and found it cheaper than a $200 per day meal plan for sure. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to be stuck eating nothing but hotel food the whole time. But, that's just my opinion.

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

I don't know about Bora Bora, but the beach at the Sofitel Moorea is very quiet and secluded. My husband and I stayed there in May and found it quite lovely and romantic.

As for meals, if the $100 pp includes both breakfast and dinner buffets, that is definitely a cheaper option than paying per meal at the resort. If you opt out of the meal plan in order to have more of a variety, you can save (a little) money by eating out for lunch rather than dinner -- prices are cheaper and restaurants are less crowded. We also ate at the outdoor bar at the Sofitel one night; it's cheaper than the buffet, and we could still see the dance show. You might want to consider renting a car for a few hours and buying snacks at the Champion market; the OWB's have nice mini-fridges. Enjoy!

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

As mentioned, there really isn't anything within walking distance of the Sofitel on Moorea. For that purpose, location-wise, it's not a very good hotel. Now their location on Bora Bora is a little different. When you walk out, there's a little casual restaurant just down the road. There's also a little market a little further down the road and that's where we ate breakfast every morning. Tahiti has some of the best chocolate croissants and we would go to that market every morning to get them. One of the best ways to save money on your meals! I don't know how much they are now, but at that time, they were about $1.50 USD. And we would buy a bunch of them along with a carton of juice, and that would be our breakfast, and maybe even lunch!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

Exactly right Umanga. If you are staying ON the island of Bora Bora rather than out on a motu...breakfast and lunch can be very reasonable.

Breakfast for 2 from the market...croissants, juice, yogurt, fresh fruit....total about $10.

Lunch for 2 from the market....baguette, cheese, sliced meat, fruit, a couple of beers or sodas...less than $20

Dinner at a place like La Bounty...2 entrees, dessert, with a couple drinks...probably close to $75. Sooo...if you do it right, you can easily eat for around $100 a day for 2 people.

Now Moorea is a little more problematic, because there is no store within walking distance of the Sofitel. You can rent a car for a few hours or a day and stock up on some things from the market. Many restaurtants do dinner pick ups for free...and there is also a pizza place nearby that delivers.

Soo...you are not tied completely to eating all meals at expensive hotel prices. There are ways to get around that.

vancouver
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

Thanks for the replies.

Which hotels are there which are well located in regards to being within walking distance of a store / cheaper but good restaurant, but have nice quiet beach?

Do any of the hotels have a microwave etc. in the rooms?

Thanks

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

On Moorea, the Pearl has the best location as far as being right within walking distance of a number of restaurants, shops, market, etc. But the snorkeling there isn't all that great. So you have to decide which is more important to you......location or the snorkeling/beach. As mentioned, there are ways to get around the fact that your hotel location isn't all that great. SOME of the restaurants do come pick you up, and then you could always rent a car for a day or two. Is all of this somewhat of an inconvenience?? To some people, yes, and only you can decide for yourself.

I don't believe any of the hotels have mircowaves.

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

We stayed at the Hilton Moorea for 11 days this past July and averaged about $90 per day for both of us. We did have a free breakfast each day because of our Hilton Gold status so that saved us about $50 a day. We ate most of our meals at the hotel which we enjoyed (new chef). Occassionally, we ordered pizza and have it delivered (about $40 for two people). We found the prices at the hotel a little less then the restaurants that would pick you up. We also saved money because we don't drink booze.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is food/meals that expensive (Moorea/Bora Bora)

As everyone says, yes it is expensive. We stayed at the Pearl and it was a greatl location. I had also purchased a book months in advance before our trip and read on which restaurants will pickup and dropoff. We spent about 10,000 XPF a day on food. Most days it was a bit less. That's approximately $125 a day for food. But then we did splurge the last night we were there for supper.

Just be prepared to pay a good chunk on food and you'll be fine. We went for 5 nights and took $2,000 USD. We budgeted half for food and half for fun. We came home with $350 so I thought we did fairly well.