We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around

St. George, UT
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting Around

I have a few questions.

We'll be arriving in PPT at 5:15 on Sunday the 9th and will be taking the 6:05 ferry to Moorea where we have reservations at the Hilton. We pack light and will only have 2 carry-ons. We don't really want to rent a car for the duration of our trip because we're pretty content with just lounging on the beach but we don't want to be stuck eating at the resort either.

Let's get this started...

1. Is the Le Truck sufficient to get us to and from the resort if we don't plan on leaving the general vicinity of the resort?

2. Are there any food options close to the Hilton that won't require a car? I understand there are many restaurants that will come pick us up but I'm more interested in lunch type places that won't be a hassle to get to.

3. Is there a grocery store/supermarket within walking distance? I jog and cycle on a regular basis so walking distance for me is up to a few miles.

4. Are the scooters really as deadly as so many seem to proclaim? I ride a scooter at home on a daily basis and find it hard to believe that they can be that bad.

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm just trying to get all the little details ironed out.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around

Are you arriving at 5:15 pm and then taking the 6:05 ferry. If so, that sure seems impossible based upon your timing. I believe that the last ferry is at about this time. You may have to reconsider.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around

You won't make the 6:05 ferry, plan on taking the next one and I'm asuming you mean 'AM'.

You don't want to rent a scooter on Moorea if you are not familar with them.

If you go to the right when leaving the Hilton to will come to a rollette taht serves all types of food after 6PM. Very basic looking place on the mountain side of the road but very good and cheap. One order of Chow Mein will feed 2 easily for about $15 USD.

If you go to the left when leaving the Hilton and walk about 1/2 mile you will come to a pizza place, a bit further is a small store for 'basics'.

You will have a small fridge in your room.

The Le Truck runs of the ferry schedule. One bus goes cloakwise and the other counter clockwise when leaving the ferry. They meet up at the far side of the island at the Le Petite shoping center across from the old Club Med.

You will need to time your pickup time in frnt of the Hilton based upon the ferry schedule and how long you think it will take until the bus is in front of the hotel. No gurrantees if they will stop and pick you up, make sure you flag them to stop.

If you go on the bus remeber you will need to waint until the next one for a ride back, that could be a few hours.

Tiki

St. George, UT
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around

Sorry, that would be 5:15 am. I'll plan on taking the later ferry then. Thanks for the heads up.

This will be our second time to French Polynesia. We went to Bora Bora 2 years ago as a wedding gift from my parents and we've wanted to go back to the islands ever since. Unfortunately we've got to do it on a budget so all the advice is greatly appreciated.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around

The HIlton does have a fridge in the room but if you woul dlike to have it emptied out they charge USD30.00. If you move anything in the fridge you

will be charged since it is one of those weight controlled fridges. To avoid all this you might want to bring a collapsable cooler. Grocery stores close very early on sunday so you can't count on shopping on sunday.

Regards BO

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around

Wow Bo, when did they start doing that? I was there last November and they didn't charge me, or maybe it was one of those things that was overlooked because of a certian connection I have : }

Godd to konw though, everything is open to flexability if you 'deal' before you buy.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around

LOL..............I am just as wrong as I can be. That's the Hilton in Bora!!!!!!!

I hope the GM of the HIlton in Moorea doesn't read this and get ideas.

Sorry guys

Regards BO

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Around

Ferry Schedule www.aremiti.net

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Around

One of the drawbacks about staying at the Hilton......there is VERY little within walking distance of the hotel!

9. Re: Getting Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:17