We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Eastern U.S.A.
Level Contributor
180 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

My husband I and spent the most terrific honeymoon at the Club Med, Moorea in 1988. Lately we've been talking about revisiting the that tropical paradise. While researching on the web, I discovered it is not only closed, but in complete disarray. I even found a terribly depressing photo of one of the main building, on fire.

What's the scoop? How on earth did such an incredible resort go from utopia to trashed?

I think back to planning our honeymoon in '88. Going to Tahiti was unheard of in my area (small city - eastern us.) The trip was super expensive for our budget which was filled with school loans, car loans, and a pricey wedding. My mom suggested we follow our dreams and go on our Tahitian honeymoon. She said we'd never regret going, but we could regret not going. Well she was right! I sooooooooooo don't regret going!!!

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Tahiti
Tahiti
90 replies to this topic
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Club Med was closed 2 years ago, will not re-open. All land for resorts on Bora Bora are long term leases, this lease was coming up for re-negotiation. Land owners wanted considerable more money. No deal was put together that everyone could agree upon.

Land owners in FP are typically the entire family, all members must agree or there cannot be a signed lease. Even if one family member says no, the answer is NO!

Edited: 04 June 2011, 18:33
Mentioned in this post
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

She's talking about Club Med Moorea, not the one on Bora Bora (which is also closed, as of 2 years ago, as Tiki stated). The one on Moorea has been closed for about 10 years now and it is in a state of utter decay. There is no chance of it ever reopening as a Club Med. Club Med has pulled out of the French Polynesia area completely.

It's unlikely that anything will be happening with the Club Med property anytime soon (if ever) as all the various members of the family that own the property would have to be in complete agreement to do anything with it. It's really quite sad because it is a beautiful piece of property sitting on of a glorious expanse of beach on the NW side of the island. The entire economy of that side of the island has been hurt tremendously by it's closure.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Bora Bora
Bora Bora
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Oops ................

Yes, that location on Moorea is incredible, one of the very best on the island. So much of the Le Petite Village shopping center was build bacause of Club Me4de being right across the street, never has been the same since the closing.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Club Med Moorea closed in 2000, and as of the moment, there is no talk of it reopening at that location. Coconut radio rumors abound on Moorea about the owner family's plans for the property, but right now it is fenced off.

The beach is still accessible by walking from Hibiscus Hotel, Vai Moana, Nelson Camping, or Moorea Fare Miti, and it is just as lovely as ever at that point on the lagoon, facing the motus!

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Hotel Hibiscus
Hotel Hibiscus
762 Reviews
Moorea, French Polynesia
Moorea Fare Miti
Moorea Fare Miti
229 Reviews
Moorea, French Polynesia
Sydney, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Club Moorea didn't close in 2000. My wife and I enjoyed our honeymoon there in April 2001. It was a beautiful location as one of the best holidays we have had. We always planned to return for our 10th anniversary but couldn't due to its closure. Was very sad to see it burning!!

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Pretty sure it closed in 2001...shortly after 9/11, if I remember correctly.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

You can see recent photos of what the property looks like now at this link:

…yuku.com/topic/1163/Ruins-of-Club-Med-from-…

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

So sad to see the mess over there. When the Bali Hai closed the boys sold the huts to local families for next to nothing which I see scattered around the island, that's a lot better than watching the huts go to waste at the Club Med.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

It was closed when we were in Moorea in July, 2011...

TC

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Piraeus, Greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?

Well, as I have read the topic, I would like to let you know that there is already some development at the Ancient Club Med area! I have valuable information that a part of it will be renovated and active in a year or so...

Reply to: Club Med Moorea - ????? What happened?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted