We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

Hi again

I am wondering if how long it takes to get through the airport and to the ferry dock, on average.

My flight arrives from New Zealand at 4.30pm on a Sunday

I just noticed there are 2 boats provided by aremiti

aremiti.net/aremiti-ferry/…

somehow I had missed seeing there is the older Ferry and the newer Aremiti 5

Hopefully I will make the last boat that night that leaves at 18.30 but wondering on my chances of catching the earlier boat (leaves at 17.45) as I need to organize transfers at the Moorea end to my accommodation at Hotel les tipaniers

Another thing I have noticed is the Avis rental car office in Moorea closes at 6pm and the transfer company http://www.toreanui.com only operates btw 6am and 5pm so I'm limited in transfer options. If anyone can suggest something for these later arrival times. I can always get a taxi I guess, but its around US$50 one way

I will continue to research. Its a good thing I enjoy it as there seems to be a lot of ins and outs with this brief trip (I only have 30 hours in Paradise)

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Society Islands, French Polynesia
Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

I think you should count at least 1 hr to get thru immigration, your bags and customs... there's no public transport on Sunday from Tahiti airport so you'd need to get a cab, around 2000 cpf to the ferry docks.

There are 2 different companies and 3 different boats:

Aremiti ferry (45 min) last one on sunday 5h30 pm

Aremiti 5 (fast one 30 min) last one on sunday 6h30 pm

Moorea Ferry (very slow and old boat 60 mn) last one on sunday at 6.15 pm

On arrival of fast ferry only there's a public bus, 300 cfp p.p one way to les Tipaniers... if not get a cab. It's a drag with the rental car companies as they won't await your arrival...

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Aremiti Ferry
Aremiti Ferry
1,005 Reviews
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Moorea
Moorea
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

I agree with Poehere; it will take at least an hour to get through immigration, baggage claim, and customs, after deplaning. One suggestion: when you check in, ask for a seat assignment as close to the exit door as possible; if you are in economy on Air Tahiti Nui, that;s usually around row 11. The sooner you can deplane, the shorter the immigration line will be for you, and that's the process that takes the most time.

Also, I wouldn't count on a taxi being available at the Moorea airport on late Sunday afternoon/early evening. You should make arrangements ahead of time for a transport or taxi pickup. I can supply a name and phone number of a reliable taxi service if you send me a PM.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 15:26
Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Moorea
Moorea
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

thanks so much, I just PMed you.

I was wondering if its better for me to rent a car from PPT airport and take it over on the ferry as it seems there isn't going to be a huge cost difference and there is the ease of mind of knowing I have my own transport.

As mentioned I only have 30 hours so maybe I could do a little site seeing the following day before catching the last boat back.

Has anyone else taken a car on the boat from PPT? Is it ok?, anything to know about

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

You must first make sure that removing a rental car from Tahiti to Moorea is not prohibited by your rental contract; some companies do prohibit this. That said, it would probably a good idea -- you wouldn't have to worry about transport options and timing (especially on a Sunday), and would be able to get around and sightsee on Moorea the next day.

Although passengers do not need reservations for the ferry, vehicles normally DO need a reservation, because space is limited, so you should make sure you make a ferry reservation for the car at least a day in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Moorea
Moorea
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

thanks so much for all the great info

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

We are arriving at PPT at 6:05 a.m. Tahiti Nui on a Saturday and going to the IC Resort Tahiti after clearing immigration, presuming about 8:30 a.m. as we are in Row 32.

Will there likely be plenty of taxis around or should we plan on a wait in a line?

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

There will be plenty of taxis. You might be through by 7:30.

8. Re: how long does it take from landing PPT > ferry dock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 10:17