We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

Hello moorea fans,

My soon to be husband and I will be in moorea, bora bora, and tikehau starting October 22. I am dying to do at least one scuba dive in moorea (we are staying at les tipaniers) and one dive in tikehau (we're at ninamu). My problem is, neither one of us are certified and the last time I went scuba diving was over 10 years ago.

I should note that it won't be possible for us to get certified before the trip, as it's in 2 months, we both work full time, and have a young child. Zero time!

Can anyone recommend some options as they see it? Top Dive 6 dive pass? Does that include a certification? Do we need certification for "fun" or "discovery" dives? Totally need clue-ing in! Thanks wise advisors!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

You can do "discover scuba" dives with most dive shops in FP. This is a shallow dive for non-certified divers. Would highly recommend Raie Manta Club in Tikehau. Axle is a great guide and they will pick up from Ninamu

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

Ah, so that's what a "discover" dive is... I was wondering. If we do a discover dive (or dives) in moorea, would we be able to do a more advanced dive in tikehau?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,637 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

Discover scuba dive is not a certification and you will not be able to do a more advanced dive. In all honesty you should not want to. Knowing what to do if your mask or regulator comes off is a core skill in a certification course. In discover scuba diving they keep you shallow and hopefully in arms reach of an instructor. I would not want a non certified diver to be in ANY current nor would I want them below about 30 feet from where they could hopefully make an emergency ascent if needed.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

ah, i see... so maybe we'll want to do discover dives in both moorea and tikehau.

5. Re: Not certified but want to scuba dive in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:20