We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

Hi All,

My husband and I will be arriving in PPT by cruise ship from Sydney and are having an extra 2 nights in Moorea for our 19th Wedding Anniversary. We won't be staying in an OWB as we did that in the Maldives for our 15th Anniversary but we are confused about which would be the nicest property for around $560 per night with breakfast. The Hilton room looks better (luxury bungalow with pool) but perhaps the beach is better at the Sofitel? Does anyone know how much the breakfast buffets are at each property? Also which one would be better for seeing whales/dolphins and swimming (not snorkeling)? As it's such a short stay we will probably stay at the resort except for maybe one dinner out.

Thanks so much in advance

Michigan
Level Contributor
491 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

We stayed at the Hilton for 5 nights last month and didn't care for it. It's definitely not a 5 star resort - crowded and I felt like I could have been at any busy hotel in Florida or a beach town stateside. I can't speak for the other hotels, but we wouldn't return to the Hilton on Moorea.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
344 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

I did a quick tour of the Hilton in Moorea (rode our bikes from the Pearl). The Hilton seemed very commerical (more so than our stay at Hilton BB). The Hilton and the Sofitel have the nicest water IMO in Moorea. I'll never forget the first time we drove by the Sofitel and I saw my first OWB. It took my breath away and realised I was in FP. The Hilton is a bit far from everything. You can't really walk to the store etc...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

Neither the Sofitel nor the Hilton are walking distance to stores and restaurants. I'll be honest and say I love the Hilton; we're staying for the first time at the Sofitel in March. On any Moorea trip, though, we always spend a considerable amount of time at the lovely little public beach up the road from the Hilton and on Temae Beach (where the Sofitel sits). I don't know about the whale watching and can't compare the breakfast buffets (honestly, we've had very few buffets that "stood out" on our ten vacations or so to French Polynesia... Le Tahaa, the Tahiti Intercontinental, and the Thalasso were huge winners for us, but otherwise we've found the buffets enjoyable but interchangeable).

Both the Hilton and the Softel have gorgeous water and outstanding snorkeling (although it sounds like snorkeling isn't high on your list of criteria). Temae Beach is much, much longer than the beach at the Hilton, but it is not white powdery sand (we still love walking on it); you will also have an excellent view of Tahiti from the Sofitel. The Hilton has the overwater crepes bar for a fun evening meal; the Sofitel has a sand floor restaurant.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either choice... maybe take a look at the hotel websites and see which has the amenities that appeal to you most. Do you want the plunge pool? Which has an onsite restaurant that looks good to you, if you're not planning on leaving the resort much? I believe the Hilton has clawfoot tubs in almost every room; the Sofitel has a rainhead shower.

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

We love the Hilton Moorea (been to all resorts in Moorea). You may notice differences in experiences by what type of bungalow a person was in when they started their vacation here. Obviously, if you stayed the whole time in a panaramic overwater like we did you'll have a different opinion than someone who may have stayed in a garden bungalow near the road. We love snorkeling, so being able to snorkel right there at your bungalow anytime you want is awesome. We also like the food here, especially the crepe bar. But, I understand the chef at the main dining room when we were there in 2012 is not there anymore. He was French, but had also worked at the Cayman Ritz. Not sure how the food is now, although I heard the crepe bar is still very good.

5. Re: Hilton vs Sofitel vs Intercontinental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:20