We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

We were booked for a two bedroom ocean-view villa at Legends Moorea for March 2014. Unfortunately, the resort reached out to us this week and notified us that they are undergoing changes and, instead of being a resort with resort services, they are going to be managed by Tahiti-homes.com as rental properties (in fact, I think you can actually purchase one of the villas to be your very own). As a result, there would be no front desk, no restaurant, no spa, no transfers to the motu... and they thought we might want to cancel our reservation ;)

The people at Legends have been very helpful with the rebooking (of course this happens the first time I don't use a TA for Tahiti), but if you have reservations in the near future there... you may want to rethink things or make sure you get rebooked elsewhere.

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

I think I know how you're feeling. The house our son rented for several years on Kauai sold a couple of months before their trip. The previous owner had assured them they had nothing to worry about; the new owner supposedly had to honor all those who had already booked. Wrong! They had to scramble to find something else. Pretty stressful when you make plans so far in advance.

Where will you go instead?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

We've booked at the Hilton. Unfortunately, that means no two bedroom unit, but fortunately we'd hedged our bets and booked three nights in the Sofitel's new two bedroom villa for the end of our trip ;) We love the Hilton, so no worries there... were just hoping for more space this trip with our kids.

The bummer is, I think their project in Bora Bora is also probably not going to happen. It was put on hold after the last government turnover because the financing was frozen... would have been lovely to have two bedroom units on Matira Point!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

I remember reading something about Legends being financial trouble and I think was in receivership or something back a few months ago. Can't recall where I read it though.....I know it was from one of the local FP papers...but can't remember who posted it or where...In here? Or FaceBook? Or TE? or where ever? Maybe Barbi? Maybe Poehere?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

Ah... I didn't catch that one! But it does sound like something Poehere would know. I did read where the Bora Bora project had been put on hold because they'd lost their funding. That would certainly explain the situation. I suppose if one wants to purchase a Tahitian villa, it's a great opportunity :) Likewise, I believe the units will eventually be available for rent, via that Tahiti Homes group another poster was asking about. It's just not going to be a resort-style experience, which happens to matter to us. It's a bummer, insofar as it is really hard to get two bedrooms for a family that connect in the $500 USD/night range!

Expedia was actually great about the cancellation (I never expect their customer service to come anywhere close to that of a TA) and the manager at Legends was very helpful and sympathetic. We're now in the deluxe garden bungalow with pool at the Hilton--so much, much less inside space, but hey... those coral gardens and the crepe bar have to make up for it, right?

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

Hi amf1:

Indeed it is a shame about Legends....such beautiful accommodations....seems most travelers wish to be on the beach though. So you are at Hilton in Dlx garden w/pool....just wondering, did you check to see how much two Regular garden w/pools would be? These are connecting units so you could have two bungalows...perhaps this will be more $$ than you wish to spend...but it's an option & maybe worth knowing.

The Pearl also has garden view duplexes that sleep 4....they feature an upstairs mezzanine....so alittle separation....you probably are already aware of these...just thought I'd mention it.... :):)

sunny regards,

shully

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

Legends is currently in receivership because of financial problems. I would be very careful about any offer to purchase a villa... Land ownership is very complicated in FP for Americans, and this would be a risky proposition.

Without a front desk, a restaurant, a spa, and transport down that hill, Legends will not be a very attractive option for most people. It's unfortunate, because this was a beautiful location.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 15:47
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

Oh, I have no intention of purchasing a villa! Even if it was easy as pie, I sincerely doubt I have the kind of cash that would be required :)

Shully: Thanks! We really wanted two separate rooms for privacy, which is why we were giving Legends a shot (and I followed it with three nights at the Sofitel's new two bedroom villa just in case the lack of a beach drove me crazy). We were offered the Pearl's family duplex, but I wasn't totally sold on the room (we tend to have four different sleep/awake schedules, so the lack of non-sleeping space might have been an issue). It would be about an extra $2000 to have two garden bungalows at the Hilton... that was something I did check into. Since I try to keep the hotel/air budget to 9K-ish and I was splurging on the Sofitel's new uber-bungalow, this put it out of our range for this year. The Intercontinental also has a few (2?) sets of connecting lanai rooms, but we were there last March and like to not go to the same resort every time. For us, it came down to debating the fabulous location of the Pearl vs. the nicer room and far better snorkeling at the Hilton and I gave into my coral addiction ;) We'll have to ping you for our next trip!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

And BarbieJKM: I'm unclear as to whether the lack of front desk/restaurant/spa/motu transfers is a "forever" thing or if it's just a temporary thing while Legends switches over to being a vacation rental place. Since it was clearly going to be an issue during our March stay and I was far more concerned with finding some kind of acceptable alternative, I didn't ask :)

I hear you on that being a concern for future renters though... Unless you really want to self-cater lots, that would be an enormous PITA to have to get in the car (and HAVE a car) and drive 5-20 minutes every time you wanted to go eat. I assume, but don't know, that restaurant pick-ups might not be as easily come by, either... and can't imagine eating at Villa des Sens every night. It would be fantastic, but $$$.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,501 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

Hi amf1:

I was pretty sure you had explored all your options....you've been there enough times to be aware of all that's available....I think you made a great choice....I love those Dlx gdn/pool at Hilton....maybe someone can sleep under the stars in a lounge chair on the deck one night....lol!! ;):) Enjoy!

Ditto Barbi on Legends....I honestly think the place is very nice...great views...but the fact they aren't on the beach was a major factor in their occupancy rates. Going forward I think there will be buyers for the units...they really are nice. Perhaps someone will rent out a little space up there for a teeny store that sells water/snacks etc... only the shadow knows... :)

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 23 January 2014, 17:42
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legends Moorea - If you have reservations soon...

amf...I can't remember if you said ever checked out the 2 bedroom unit at CBH or not. I know it doesn't have the crystal clear water beachy location you love...but the unit itself is quite nice. 2 separate bedrooms and a living room kitchen area...only 1 bathroom, although it is quite large. If you haven't seen it, stop by CBH and ask if they can show it to you (if it's not occupied at the time)

To be honest I don't know why more of the hotels there don't consider rebuilding 1 or 2 of their OWB into 2 bedroom units for families. At this time CBH has the ONLY 2 bedroom OWB on Moorea. Many families travel to FP and would like to all stay on 1 unit.