We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apologies for No Trip Report

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Apologies for No Trip Report

Hi everyone,

I just want to apologize for never posting a trip report. I lost my job five days after I got back from Mo'orea and things have been a bit disheveled since then. I have written about the first two days, but have a long way to go. My photo album is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46551129@N06/sets

It was a wonderful, amazing, stunningly beautiful trip. I LOVED the Hilton, the Lagoonarium, the Dr. Poole's Whale-Watching tour and the Lilikoi Cafe.

Please feel free to ask questions if you have them. I'm happy to try to answer, and will check back more frequently.

Thanks!

Edited: 03 February 2014, 19:15
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

So sorry to hear about the job (that happened to me once) and fingers crossed you land on your feet. The photos are gorgeous and I love the dog at the lagoonarium snorkeling with you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

what kind of camera did you use for all the underwater video/pictures?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

Hi QTMusicDiva,

It is an Pentax WG-3 and I could not be happier with it!

I strongly recommend getting a float strap to go with it. I bought a camera bundle from Cameta camera and though the strap itself worked great, the string that attached it to the camera came loose a couple of times - luckily in shallow water - and I had to fuss with it to get it to stay. So you may want to do some research there.

Also I got some Sony SD cards from Amazon that worked great.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
341 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

Your pictures are fantastic! Could you please tell me what you wore snorkeling....the long tights? Are they made for salt water? Did you wear them to protect from sun or cold water? I need to invest in something similar as I have fair skin. Also, how did you plan out your snorkeling....I can't seem to get a grasp on the best places and how long I should rent a car to do this. I will be on Moorea for five days and want to maximize the best snorkeling it has to offer. I am staying at the IC. Thanks for your help.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

LOL! Here's the story on the purple socks:

Sometimes I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I sunburned my legs badly enough ON DAY ONE that I was concerned about going in the sun again, so I stopped by the big Toa supermarket near the docks in the hopes I could find at least some standard knee socks. Instead I found soccer socks that came up to my thighs! They are literally socks make for wearing over your shin guards when you play soccer. So I bought the loudest color I could and wore those all day at the Lagoonarium. If I'm going to look ridiculous, I might as well go big, right?! They kept the sun off my legs during the (at least) 3 hours I was in the water; they were not helpful in keeping warm.

As for planning snorkeling: stay as long as you can at the Lagoonarium. Even the excellent snorkeling at the Hilton is like a warm-up for the experience at the Lagoonarium. Bring a sandwich or two and some water, your mask, snorkel & fins. The current is quite strong. And don't forget an underwater camera!

For non-Lagoonarium snorkeling: Try to get up early (like 6am) and snorkel before you leave for your daily activities. And snorkel when you get back, too. Each time of day brings out different creatures.

I also snorkeled at Coco Beach, but to be honest, it wasn't very good compared to the Hilton and especially Lagoonarium. The food was awesome, though.

Odenton, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

Patlynn: Try Bullfrog sunscreen. My husband is of Norwegian/Swedish descent and burns very easily. We have both used this for full days of boating on the Chesapeake as well as in Mexico and Jamaica without burning! And he really doesn't have to keep applying it all day - it lasts and stays effective through sweating and swimming in salt water. We don't go anywhere tropical without it!

California
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

Loved your pictures! Can't wait to visit the Lagoonarium--less than two months now. Thank you for sharing!

Patlynn, Have you checked out Coolibar? http://www.coolibar.com/ One of the items I just ordered is a capri swimming bottom; I'm surprised how much I like them--not as cute as those purple socks, though. : ) My dermatologist doesn't want the sun touching me; I know that's not going to happen, but I'll do what I can.

Livermore...
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

Another endorsement here for Coolibar. Those Minnesota people make some quality UV-resistant stuff!

We're staying in one of the Panoramic rooms as well. Do you recall how deep the water is there?

Thanks for sharing the excellent photos!

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apologies for No Trip Report

About 4.5" out at room 86.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
60 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply