We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

Hi,

My husband and I are finally going on a very belated honeymoon/first anniversary trip from June 5th-14th and would love some advice and tips! We will be staying at the Hilton and are very active folks...

1. Wondering if we can rent bikes and ride to Lagoonarium and other areas? Or is renting a car better?

2. Wanted to do the FranckyFranck's tour but he's booked :( Any other recommendations?

3. My husband is mainly vegetarian and I'm allergic to shellfish.. I'll be bringing some pre-packaged food but do restaurants normally cater special requests?

4. We want to do a motu picnic but not necessarily be packed like sardines on the boat... Are there other options?

5. The husband loves to hike... Any good agencies that provide hiking tours?

6. I'm a mosquito and bug magnet! I swear! :( I'll be bringing repellant but should I also take any vaccines before I get there?

Any tips and advice will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tisha

tennessee
Level Contributor
179 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

We rented a car for 24 hrs and went to the juice factory, Belvedere Point, Lagoonarium, grocery store , several stores and dinner out. I personally would not rent a bike to ride on those roads

We booked the circle island tour by boat which included snorkel time with rays and black tipped sharks and a lunch on a motu. We also got lunch on lagoonarium picnic style. If you go there make sure you take a mask and snorkel. Entrance fee for Lagoonarium is 3200 xpf or $40 usd and you can stay any length of time you want. The last boat leaves at 4 pm. Hope this helps

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
327 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

We road bikes but the conditions are not that great. You also have dogs that roam as well. The Hilton is a bit far away so maybe a car would be a good option for you.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

We loved Albert's ATV tour (Louis was our guide) must be physically fit as yourselves for tour. He also has a Jet ski tour which is great. No more than 4 vehicles. Would consider renting a car rather than bikes...There are sunset, dinner tours offered online. We were not bothered by mosquitoes at the Hilton but did encounter a few inland on tour, a good repellant with Deet works fine. No special vaccine necessary, considering you have already had a Twinrix series and tetanus. Bring your own snorkel and mask, water shoes and rash guards. The tours & hotels lend out fins.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

Thanks everyone!

Albert's Tours and a car rental - check! :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

We just got back a couple days ago. The Lagoonarium is probably too far to bike from the Hilton. We rented a car to go on our first day there as we were there way before check-in time and had time to kill. It also gave us time to stop at a store and pick up a few snacks, drinks, water. We also did Albert's atv tour but we got the side by side car instead of the atv as it was easier for picture taking and we loved it. You do not have to be fit. It was a fantastic tour. I am also a mosquito magnet and took lots of bug spray as I was bit so bad on a trip last year and last week we only saw 2 mosquitos the whole time which was a relief. Have a great time!

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

Hi,

Is it best to book your tours before you arrive or just wait until you get there?

We are wanting to book the ATV bikes.

Papeete, French...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

If your husband love to hike I recommand you to rent a car for a day or two and make the tour alone to go to the Belvedere (the road is really easy don't need a 4x4)!It's a great place with two great hiking. Otherwise you have two waterfall near the lagoonarium (like this you can enjoy the car to go on the lagoonarium and go to the waterfall car park, the walk is about 1hr) Otherwise there are some guide for walk more wild and unknown, and personnaly I think it's better than a tour in 4x4, less touristic and more natural...

There are plenty of restaurants don t worry

For Mosquitoes, you can find in all supermarket even small one

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

1. Bikes NO Car Yes

2. No suggestion

3. Some restaurants will try but it won't be anything like home

4. No

5.http://www.tahitiexpeditions.com/

6. Use at least 25% deet and burn fish coils in your bunglow.

New Plymouth...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

Thanks for asking this question, I too have soaked up all the answers. Thankyou travelling community :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Mo'orea! Need advice :)

The last couple of times I've stayed at the Sofitel Ia Ora there has been a mozzie zapper provided in the bungalow (check the drawers in the wardrobe if it isn't immediately visible).

On trips to FP I take a mozzie zapper that uses mats (and an adaptor) for inside the bungalow, insect repellent and one-a-day anti-histamine tablets in case I get bitten. If you want to sit on your bungalow's patio at dusk and it has rained recently you will need to make sure that you apply repellent to all exposed skin as that seems to be the mozzies' favourite meal time.

Don't forget to take a water bottle with you if you decide to walk up to the observation point above the Sofitel - it's a reasonable climb.