We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IC or Hilton?

United States
Level Contributor
823 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
IC or Hilton?

We are planning a trip to Bora-Bora and Moreea in a couple of years (our first in the area). At this point, I would like to focus on accumulating points with either IHG (IC) or Hilton, to use them for hotels there (or at least on one of the islands).

If the things we are looking most for are good snorkeling and nice views, which chain do you recommend we focus on? Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IC or Hilton?

We are staying at the hilton because of all the great reviews about the snorkling at the hilton. If you do a search in the forum you'll find heaps of answers to the same question :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IC or Hilton?

I also looked at both hotels and chose the Intercontinental in Moorea, as to me the Hilton looks a little sterile with metal balconies around the overwater bungalows. Just a personal choice.

In Bora Bora the Intercontinental Thalasso has a superior setting and view compared to the Hilton. The added bonus is that you can use the facilities of both Intercontinental resorts in Bora Bora. The Intercontinental Le Moana (based on the main island) is also relatively inexpensive, yet gives you access to the sister resort.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 12:22
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IC or Hilton?

If you want excellent snorkeling at the hotel, the Hilton wins, hands-down, on Moorea. On Bora Bora, the Hilton also has excellent snorkelings, but a horizon view of the ocean and few views back towards Bora Bora's famous mountain. If I had points, I'd do Thalasso in Bora Bora just for the stunning views and luxe bungalows.

United States
Level Contributor
823 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IC or Hilton?

Thanks. At a minimum, it seems that Thalasso in Bora Bora is a good option. We'll have to focus on just one, and hope we can accumulate at least some points to offset some of the cost.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: IC or Hilton?

Wolvesblue- we recently stayed in a OWB at the Hilton Moorea, their decks are wood and from what I experienced the bungalows are in top shape, clean and well maintained. We visited a few places during our stay, including the IC : it is larger & has a modern, less traditional feel. We dined there one evening and it was crowded with what seemed to be tourist groups. It has 'alot' going on....so if you like that you made a good choice. If you are looking for a more intimate setting IMO you can't go wrong with the Hilton, the place has beautiful grounds plus the snorkeling off the deck was great .. Any way you look at it Moorea is beautiful & you'll love it!

*Try to get a breakfast package when you book.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IC or Hilton?

Ilse B - what does not appeal to me about the Hilton is the very prominent metal fences around the OWB's decks as well as the fact that they've built a lot of OWBs into a relatively small space. Looking at the photographs (and I've seen a lot) the Intercontinental's location and more natural looking layout just appeal to me more. I have been to the intercontinental before very briefly a few years ago, but as I said I like the resort layout. I think the Hilton is probably more luxurious and nice in it's own way, but I often prefer good 4 star hotels to true 5 star resorts.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 22:44
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: IC or Hilton?

Note: I did not see 'the prominent metal fencing' that you mention. I just went thru my pics and the deck rails were made of wood...you might be viewing old photos??

Mission Viejo, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: IC or Hilton?

We just got back from 5 nights in Bora Bora Pearl & 6 nights in Moorea Hilton and I'm a Hilton Honors member.

lise B - you're referring to the Moorea Hilton which has no metal fencing around their OWB (love both the upper & lower wooden decks) & Wolvesblue 2 - I think you're referring to the Hilton in Bora Bora.

hanim - you may want to start by looking at how many points are required to book one night for the specific type of room you want at the IC or Hilton chains. Personally, the amount of points required for Hilton with our gold status, I'm only able to get maybe one night each year unless you travel a lot for work & rack up a ton of points. We use our HH Amex card to charge everything & pay off each month as we don't travel for work. Sounds like cost could be a big factor.

Bora first - for us, we wanted the true experience & stayed all our nights in OWB but we're not willing to pay double the price to stay at the Bora IC Thalasso, St. Regis or Four Season in Bora so we stuck with IC le Moana, Hilton or Pearl as the best options. I'm with you, I'm good with staying at a 4 star hotel, doesn't have to be 5, value for what you pay is still excellent. Our travel agent told us only the Pearl can accommodate a family of 4 so ended up staying at the Pearl which we were very happy with, our OWB has a beautiful view of Mt. Otemanu, blue/green shallow water & great snorkeling. Seeing the entire Bora lagoon on boat, I did see that most of the Bora Hilton OWB was over deeper darker blue water so I don't think I would've liked it as much as the resort doesn't have that classic Bora shades of blue/green water as the background. With that being said - the IC le Moana for the value from my own research was my first choice but can't speak first hand about it as we couldn't stay there with 4 to an OWB.

Moorea - Hilton is the best choice there w/o question from all the research (if you do split your visit, suggest maybe pay & stay on a beach or garden bungalow & get your OWB experience in Bora) - you'll see from all the reviews that snorkeling here is beyond awesome, so much corals & the variety of fish exceeded our expectations (from what I read, there's no Bora hotels that comes close). We loved our OWB, love the privacy of the upper wooden deck & absolutely love sunning on the lower deck right next to the blue/green water & seeing fish in the water. One evening we even saw an eel near one of the bungalows walking on the wooden pier. We are true L.A. foodies & we loved the food at the Hilton restaurants (most of the hotels have you captive & the food from what I've read aren't the best), nice beach looking out to blue/green water but you won't find the entire island having the incredible shades of blue/green water like Bora. We liked the contrast of visiting the two islands to fully appreciate both but would only recommend it if you have 10+ days to split - any less, would recommend Bora only for that classic experience. Message me & I'd be happy to answer more specific questions.

United States
Level Contributor
823 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IC or Hilton?

JC,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide all this info, it is extremely helpful. The number of hotels on these 2 islands is overwhelming, and deciding which one to pick it's really difficult.

The things that will influence our decision are:

- good snorkeling

- nice view

- ability to mix OWB with beach bungalows to control cost

- ability to experience the island during the day and not being trapped on one property only for dinner

- ability to earn points by CC spending before the trip

Such a tall order... I know. We'll most likely have the 10 days (hopefully 10+) so we plan to split the time between the 2 islands. ALthough, now that I read about Taha's....I think that's another contender.

Thanks again

Nebraska
Level Contributor
584 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: IC or Hilton?

I will throw another thought/option out there. When we started planning, we knew Bora Bora was our main destination. With that said, after much research, we came up with IC Le Moana as our choice for Bora Bora. Our agent we were working with suggested staying at an IC property in Moorea, as it would keep costs down a bit since we were staying within the same "family" of hotels. Since Moorea was a late add-on island for us, we said that was fine. So, we went with a beach bungalow suite in Moorea and a horizon OWB in Bora Bora.