We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea vacation

Washington D.C. in...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moorea vacation

My husband and I are planning our honeymoon to Moorea (3nts) and Bora Bora(5nts). I have a few questions for planning our trip.

1. We are looking to stay at the Sofitel Moorea or the Intercontinental Moorea. Which would you recommend and why? Which has better snorkeling? Which is located closer to local restaurants and shops?

2. Is it true that at the IC you can kayak over to an area w/ the stingray/sharks?

3. Which excursions would you recommend to do in Moorea and in Bora Bora? Should we do the shark/stingray in Moorea or in Bora Bora?

4. In Moorea... If we rent a car for a day to explore the island, should we still do the ATV tour? Would there be sights we'd miss not doing the ATV tour or is it more for the thrill?

5. In Moorea is there only one place to do the shark/sting ray? Is this the same as the Lagoonarium?

6. We want to do one show, should we do it in Moorea or Bora Bora? In Moorea is the show better at the Village or at the resort?

Thank you so much. Any advice would be of great help.

montreal
Level Contributor
656 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moorea vacation

3 & 4 The Lagoonarium is worth doing for both the snorkelling and the shark and ray feeding, be sure you are there for the feedings that take place at 11 am and 2pm, check the times in case they change. If you rent a car you can include this stop quite easily, or they will pick you up for a charge (it was quite expensive for a just a pick up, I would include it on the day you rent a car. We went to the Hilton for dinner at the Crepe restaurant, arrived early, around 6:15pm and got a table where you could see the sharks swimming underneath, the waitress fed the sharks a couple of times during our meal, so that was like our 2nd shark feeding experience. tripadvisor.ca/…89911358

We didn't do the ATV tour, but we walked up the Magic Mountain which is part of the their tour. You have to park your car at the bottom of the hill, it is impossible to drive a regular car up this mountain. You can however, drive up to the Belvedere, and it is a spectacular view, don't miss it.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g309685-d31…

6. We saw the show at the Tiki village, we didn't have dinner there, so can't comment on that. The show was amazing, especially the fire dancing. If your resort show doesn't include the fire dancing, then I suggest you go to the village. You could do this on the day you rent the car, or they provide transportation. I think you will have to go for the dinner if you use their transportation, but with the high coast of car rentals, it may work out in your favour to get the free transport and pay for dinner.http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g309685-d310436-Reviews-Tiki_Village_Cultural_Centre-Moorea_Society_Islands.html

5, On Bora Bora we did the pure snorkeling tour with Reef Discovery. They are expensive (smaller boat, they go with you in the water to show you where to go to see the most and where not to go to avoid the current) , but excellent. Sit in the front of the boat and enjoy the view as you tour the island and stop 4 times for snorkelling, you will see Manta Rays (Wow!) , coral gardens, and if the waves are not too high, you will go outside the lagoon to see reef sharks, maybe lemon sharks. We went to see the area where the eagle rays hang out, sadly they didn't show up for us. We loved the excursion so much we booked a 2nd time and so did another couple on the same tour. (we saw more stingrays in Moorea, not a big fan of them, so glad we only saw a couple in BB).

A week is not a lot of time to visit, anyway you could tack on a few days, maybe stay in a pension or garden room for part of your stay to make it more affordable? You will be glad if you do!

Washington D.C. in...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moorea vacation

thank you for the insightful information.

How far was the hike to Magic Mountain?

Are there any pther restaurants you'd recommend.?

montreal
Level Contributor
656 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moorea vacation

The mountain is quite steep so the path zig zags back and forth. We were told 20 minutes, but it took us about 40, but we stopped for pictures and to rest, it was very hot the day we went up. Darn camera's battery ran out by the time we reached the top so we couldn't take pictures.

Do your hike in the morning, then stop for lunch at Snack Mahana, it is small out door restaurant with tables on the beach. Funny thing, we were reading the menu trying to decide which dish to have when a lady from the next table came over to insist we have the Poison Cru (raw fish soaked in lime & coconut milk. I looked up, it was my friend from work!!! She had been helping me with the planning over the winter and decided last minute to go. Now what are the chances that we would end up at the same restaurant, same day, one table apart? And yes, I had the poison cru.

Try the crepe bar at the Hilton, even if you aren't staying there. It was fun to walk around the resort on the way to dinner. We also stopped to hear the lecture on the wales with Dr. Poole (held at the Hilton). We had gone on a tour with him earlier in the week and decided we would attend the lecture and then have dinner. We went to the Tiki dance later that evening.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 19:21
4. Re: Moorea vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 06:16