We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to ferry

Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to ferry

We are looking at catching a air New Zealand flight into Papeete that gets in at 430pm and the last ferry to moorea leaves at 530pm is this way too tight? One travel agent said it's plenty of time but another said it's just to tight, any advice would be greatly appreciated

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to ferry

I think that would be virtually impossible. If the plane is wheels-down at 4:30, you still have to deplane, go through customs, get your luggage, and get to the ferry dock. Do I think people have done it? Yes. Would I do it? No way. What happens if you're at the back of the plane or the plane is even a few minutes late? I'm surprised a travel agent would encourage you to do it.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to ferry

It's very tight. IMO you would have to be one of the first off the plane, go thru

the entry booths, and then if your luggage comes off the plane fast , go thru customs and get a fast taxi to the ferry dock. IMO you should have a reservation for the first night in Papeete. www.fare-suisse.com is a great choice for a place to stay.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to ferry

Hi hi,

A resounding 'that's not enough time' from me as well. It takes, on average, about an hour to: taxi in on the runway & deplane, wait in line, go through immigration, collect your bags & go through customs. Of course it depends on where you are in line, if your plane is actually on time, when your luggage comes off, if you are stopped at customs to open your bags etc etc.... oh and then there is the ride down to the ferry. Sorry.... it's just not enough time in my book. :) I'd book a room at the Intercontinental, sleep in, have breakfast & a dip in the pool, then a transfer to the docks for a mid-day ferry the next day. Just my thoughts :) Enjoy paradise!

sunny regards,

shully

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to ferry

AS others have said too tight. If you are only there for a quick overnight consider Fare Suisse, an inexpensive place within walking distance of the ferry dock. It is too far to drag your luggage but fine for an evening walk to eat at the food trucks that set up there each night. They will pick you up at the airport and drive you to the ferry the next morning at no additional charge.

5. Re: Airport to ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:16