We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moorea Sheraton

Washingotn DC
3 posts
Save Topic
Moorea Sheraton

I am planning my honeymoon to the French Polynesian for July. Currently, we are set to spend 2 days in Tahiti, followed by 5 days at the Moorea Sheraton in a Horizon Overwater Bungalow, and then 3 days in Bora Bora. A lot of comments about the Moorea Sheraton have me concerned. Please provide any comments that may be helpful in determining whether I should modify our plans. Specifically, pluses and/or minuses of: (i) 5 days in Moorea, (ii) the Sheraton in Moorea (room quality, service, food, activities, beach, pool, spa), (iii) other accommodations in Moorea, etc.

Comments will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Woodbridge, Ontario
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Moorea Sheraton

I too have booked my honeymoon for 5 days at the Sheraton Moorea and then 4 days at Le Meridien Bora Bora for October.

I was also concerned about this hotel due the reviews that I have read. I passed my concerns along to my travel agent who also read the reviews and reassured me that this is the best place to stay on the island. The hotel is extremely clean and is in one of the best locations. The service she said was sometimes slow, but that is to be expected in French Polynesia.

Washingotn DC
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moorea Sheraton

Hi Pokey,

Thanks for your reply. I also spoke to my travel agent who provided me the same type assurances. I will keep you apprised of any information I learn. I would appreciate it if you do the same.

Take care, Mike

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moorea Sheraton

We just returned from Moorea and stayed at the Sheraton in an overwater bungalow. I can't say enough good things about this resort. I cannot imagine what some people found to complain about. We were greated with a flower lei and juice on our arrival. Our bags were promptly taken to our room which was incredibly beautiful and the snorkeling was wonderful right off our deck,

The resort was beautiful and in excellent condition. The staff were all extremely pleasant and helpful. Food in the restaurant was very good and reasonably priced for Moorea. This is not the United States, but French Polynesia. It is the perfect place for a honeymoon or vacation!!!

Washingotn DC
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moorea Sheraton

Thanks Tazz. I appreciate your post. Are there any must do's while in Moorea?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moorea Sheraton

Hi all. We are just about finished booking our honeymoon and we decided on the Sheraton in Moorea. (staying at the end of pontoon overwater bungalow at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort in BB)

I believe we are staying at what our travel agent is saying is their "premium bungalow", which I think is translating to their overwater horizon bungalow. Am I correct? Is the overwater horizon the best class of bugalows the sheraton offers? I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance, Jay

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
332 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moorea Sheraton

Update on Moorea Sheraton--A friend who lives in Moorea tells me her relatives and friends who work at the Sheraton are considering staging a strike to coincide with the high season, which is starting now. These things normally don't last long, and are relatively benign, but thought you might want to know.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Moorea Sheraton

Oh boy. . . .my travel agent said that there was already a strike and that is was resolved. basically, she said that the sheraton is bending over backwards because the strike (i guess the one that took place) really hurt their reputation as to service and that prior to this there were no such complaints. Have I been hoodwinked!!!!!????

montreal
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moorea Sheraton

I just returned from my honeymoon and I could give you the latest update...stay at this resort:

read my review on the sheraton....the c_varano@hotmail.com...

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
332 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moorea Sheraton

So tell us about, Candaice. No strike? How was the service, it's been rated as fine all the way to horrid.

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Moorea Sheraton

Jsut wanted to talk about the Sheraton in the context of other Moorea hotels.

Certainly in terms of accomodations it's one of the best (and newest) on Moorea. It's relatively isolated, sitting between Cook's and Opunohu Bays, so getting around to other parts of the island for food, shopping, etc., will require transportation.

Service in Moorea is usually slow if you're comparing it to most American hotels/resorts, but that's due more to Tahitian lifestyle than laziness or unresponsiveness. Keep in mind that there's no real reason to be in a rush here, especially at night. Generally dinner is the main activity, so relax and enjoy.

As with most answers on these postings, it depends on what you like and why you're going. If you plan on staying mostly on ground during your stay, the Sheraton is pretty well self-contained. If you plan on getting out and around, and/or going on alot of the tours (which I highly recommend), it's not as much of an issue.

We really enjoyed hetting away from the hotel and seeing the island. The only way I think people could be disappointed with their stay at the Sheraton (barring anything unforeseen or unusual) is if they expect American or European-type service promptness. Sit back, take off your watch, and enjoy.