We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

Waringstown
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

Im planning to go to Alaska during the summer and hope to travel up the dalton highway I was looking to know if anybody has used the dalton highway express and I was planning to stay at Coldfoot is there much scenery as I would like to get some decent landscape photos or is it more worthwhile going more north?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Orlando
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

We travelled up to Prudhoe Bay on the Haul Road on a bus tour and it was wonderful. Some of the best things were once we got out on the Tundra, especially as we neared Deadhorse. We saw a herd of caribou and they were right up and even on the road and on both sides of the road as far as we could see. The Antigun Pass was awesome. I really think it is well worth the time and rough ride to go all the way. Once you get to Prudhoe if you want to actually get up to the Arctic Ocean you have to take a tour. The access is controlled by the oil companies and since 9/11 you cant get out to the ocean without being cleared and taking a tour, but it was worth it. 6 of our group of 32 actually went swimming in the Arctic and several of the rest of us touched the water and at 32degrees that was enough for this floridian. The Haul Road was one of the best though bumpiest parts of our 14 days in Alaska. Bring spare parts for your vehicle because the road is really rough on vehicles. Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Chattanooga, TN
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

We just got back from our 15 day trip to Alaska that included Coldfoot and the Brooks Range. It was awesome! We saw moose, caribou, fox and plenty of birds. You should know that the road is extremly rough so if you can fly in, that's best. We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes but heard they are really bad in the summer.. and yes, i did say mosquitoes! For us, we got there by van but flew back to Fairbanks from Coldfoot. The mountains are more awesome than imagined. Everyone in Coldfoot were friendly and always ready to answer any questions. Talk with Chad and he will tell you the bear story and inform you of the dog team he has.

I have over 3000 pictures to sort thru (thank goodness for digital cameras!) so I'm sure you will have plenty of wildlife and scenery to shoot. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
3. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Coldfoot