We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

Waringstown
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

Im planning to go to Alaska during the summer and hope to travel up the dalton highway I was looking to know if anybody has used the dalton highway express and I was planning to stay at Coldfoot is there much scenery as I would like to get some decent landscape photos or is it more worthwhile going more north?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

The Dalton hwy isn't an express at all, exact opposite, 20-30mph gravel road. Not much at Coldfoot. Are you renting a vehicle? It can be hard to find a company that will allow you to drive some of the gravel roads up here because of possible damage, cracked windshields and flat tires are common.

Waringstown
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

no i was talking about the bus service from fairbanks i am hiring a car but i have seen some photos of cracked windshield scary and really dont want to pay for a new one. Is Coldfoot in a mountainous region ie the brooks range or is it just flat and boring as im hoping to get a bit of wilderness feel for my photos

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

You'll have both mountains and ranges. If your going that far you might as well go all the way to Deadhorse. Most of the wildlife wasn't till the Brookes Range. Antigun Pass was my favorite area other than Manley Hotsprings...which I really enjoyed. I don't think any buses go there. It's pretty remote but the drive was awesome except for 2 flat tires..lol Sorry, I can't tell ya what the bus is like since we drove but, I see another responded to your other post that's done the bus. Do it if you have the time and $$$, you'll have some great memories/pictures.

Holland Patent, NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

For what it's worth, I've booked passage on Dalton Highway Express for two for the last week of July. I haven't found any third party opinions, but this seems like a good alternative to taking resposibility for driving a vehicle up the haul road. No worries about broken windshields, flats or diongs. A friend of mine who drove her own vehicle up the road to Deadhorse, she she thought with was a good deal at the price...so I'm trying it. But not round-trip...We're flying on to Barrow and then flying back south civilization... Anyone with knowledge of Dalton Highweay Express...I'd like your opinion...

Thanks!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

Yes, I too am laughing at the term "Dalton Hiway EXPRESS" but that's besides the point. Here is my trip report from the Dalton Hiway, thought you might like to have a look.

http://www.cloud9doula.com/brooks_range.htm

Have a great time!

6. Re: Travelling up the Dalton highway from Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Coldfoot