We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

NC
14 posts
Save Topic
Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

We will be in Alaska from Aug 2 - Aug 15

We will arrive in Anchorage go to Denali/Healy and then to Fairbanks at which time we would like to be able to at least cross the Arctic Circle - we will rent a car but understand the limits to that travel. What has some of you done to get to Coldfoot and or Prudhoe Bay?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Denali
Denali
2,308 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Healy
Healy
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

I'ved done the drive myself and understand why rental cars aren't allowed - its not too bad a road by Alaska standards but by anywhere else, I'm sure its considered pretty bad. Its mostly primitive pavement but there are lots of potholes and areas of construction and mud. Best bet without a car is to find a tour. Try google or dogpile search for Arctic Circle tours and it should find some options for you. Be sure to pack some snacks and beverages, there aren't many places to stop.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,977 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

Here are a couple of companies that offer Arctic Circle tours as well as a couple of other links I have kept for future reference.

www.northernalaska.com/arctic-ocean.htm

http://www.arctictreks.com

alaskatravel.com/fairbanks/arctic-circle-tou…

http://www.tour-arctic.com/main.html

www.riversedge.net/nome-kotzebue-alaska.htm

John

NC
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

I really appreciate all the input. This is truly a great service to everyone. A great website!! Reading everyone's comments as made me much more exicted about our trip - thank you all...

Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

Once you get to Fairbanks, you may want to contact The Northern Alaska Tour Company. They offer a tour that goes to the Arctic Circle. If you want a do-it-yourself tour, they also rent vehicles for the Dalton Highway. Most car rental companies will not rent cars for the Dalton. The rental cars from Northern Alaska Tour Company come equipped with two spare tires, first-aid kit, tools, and a CB radio. Their tour is in either a 12-passenger van or a 25-seat coach. I would suggest taking the tour as the Dalton Highway can be a challenge for some drivers. If it is beautiful country you wish to see, leave the driving to someone else. It is a very beautiful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Dalton Highway
Dalton Highway
144 Reviews
Coldfoot, AK
Northern Alaska Tour Company
Northern Alaska Tour...
505 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
NC
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

Thank you for your suggestions. We did book a Tour to fly to Barrow and spend the night. Anxious to go - we go in August. Have heard so many good things about what we are about to venture into. Alaska must truly be beautiful. Every place sounds great. This web site is go helpful with such nice folks responding. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
6. Re: Need Recommations for crossing the Arctic Circle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Coldfoot