We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digging for Info

5 posts
Save Topic
Digging for Info

I am getting conflicting information about the drive up from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. Can anyone tell me if the road is in good enough condition to drive in an RV? We know you can not drive all the way to the bay, but must take a sightseeing van for the last leg. One person told us the road along the pipeline is now closed except for authorized rigs, is this true? Is the town of Coldfoot a good stopping point between Fairbanks and the bay? Please help us so we can plan our trip more informed.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
alsaka
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Digging for Info

The drive from Fairbanks to DeadHorse (prudhoe bay) is long, sometimes dusty, and rough, but very do-able.....I have not driven it in many years......But I see RVs passing by everyday during the summer months. Parts of the road are paved and parts are good smooth gravel with with a hardener (calcium cloride I think) that holds the dust down. You will find other sections of the road in need of repair. Just slow down, take it easy and you will soon pass thru that section. Weather effects the condition of the road....there are State maintenance camps all along the way who work hard to keep the highway in good shape. The worst of the road is after Atigun Pass....on the north side of the mountains. Have fun. Sandy Burroughs 103Dalton Highway

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digging for Info

Looks like where this tour company stops for the night out of Fairbanks on their way to Prudhoe Bay. Oops, I'm not supposed to advertise at all in my post so I can't even give you the link? Looks like the tour company operates between May 21 and September 1, 2006, and sounds like they drive "mini-buses", whatever those are!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digging for Info

If you do a search on my name you can find where I recently posted about my drive up there. No, I would not recommend driving in a RV but if you breakdown atleast you have a bed with. : ) I never saw any other personal vehicles on my adventure once we got past the Yukon river/Coldfoot and even then maybe only one or two before that.

We didn't have any security issues.

Bring lots of tires with!!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Digging for Info

And be aware that if you are driving a rental RV you will probably have to sign a contract that says you are not allowed to drive it on that road. You can check before hand to see. But no, it's not closed.

Get answers to your questions about Coldfoot