We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stone fish dangers?

vancouver
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stone fish dangers?

Hi

I read a couple of reviews in the Aitutaki section about watching out for the dangers of stepping on a stone fish (with a warning that they can kill).

Do we need to take precautions if wading in Aitutaki? What about Rarotonga?

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stone fish dangers?

Stonefish can be a dangerous and I always wear reef shoes anyway because the coral can be sharp! the locals will tell you where the stonefish are if any. Last time i was on Aitutaki there were a few between the main island and Akitua (where Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is located) Not sure about Raro

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stone fish dangers?

Hi

The advice given to us at the Rarotongan was to wear beach shoes. Not only do they protect you from stone fish but also from coral cuts that can turn nasty. Cheap insurance in my book. The Rarotongan had them for loan as part of their beach equipment.

J

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
927 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stone fish dangers?

As well as wearing Aqua Shoes, it's a good idea to always shuffle your feet when walking in the shallows. This will scare away any suspecting Stonefish in your path.

Roger

vancouver
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Stone fish dangers?

Hi

Is an 'Aqua' or 'Beach" shoe a special type of shoe?

Will flip-flops do?

Kiwi in the Cooks
Level Contributor
559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stone fish dangers?

Kia Orana,

If by flip flops you mean jandals(NZ) or thongs(AUS) no they are not sufficient.

You need an Aqua or Reef shoe that is enclosed.

Tipani

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stone fish dangers?

They're sometimes called diving shoes - have a rubber sole and the top is elasticated and covers the whole top of the foot. As others have said, a necessity everywhere there is coral, let alone stonefish.

Certainly readily and cheaply available down this neck of the woods.

Queensland
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stone fish dangers?

I believe that the stone fish are predominantly found on the coral and not in the shallow sandy areas ( others may correct me on that). On asking the locals in Raro they seemed to indicate the main danger would be out on the fringing reef near where the surf breaks.

I also believe that most of the reef shoes discussed are made of rubber and are relatively soft and would not protect from the long and relatively stout spines of the stone fish. Conclusion - avoid walking in the areas where they are likely to be.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stone fish dangers?

Here are several brand names of water shoes that we use in kayaking. Very sturdy soles, some are made as land/water shoes, they have velcro or the newer ones have elastic ties.

Most of them you could just wear as either sandals or walking shoes, replacing another pair that you may take w/you. They are not necessarily pretty, but will definitely do the job. They are comfortable for wearing all day. These are not your $3.99 flip flops, they are serious water shoes...

Keen (these have wonderful toe protection)

Merrell

Teva

If you are not familiar w/outdoor clothing, look at:

www.campmor.com (usually best prices)

www.rei.com

You can also find some through www.llbean.com

Good luck!

Beth

Quadra Island...
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stone fish dangers?

Reef shoes, shuffle feet - good advice! I would also add, don't walk on the coral. Ever. Besides the danger of stepping on a stone fish, you are also destroying delicate coral.

I've been wallowing around this lagoon for six months, almost every day, with no problem. I've actually only seen two stone fish while snorkeling, both were tucked in the coral and practically impossible to notice (note: don't touch coral with your hands either). Wild critters, neat to look at if you get the chance. I'd say your chances of hitting one , if you stay off the coral, are pretty darn low. And there are some local remedies that work really well, apparently, so even if you hit one death would be highly, highly unlikely.

Don't worry, have fun!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stone fish dangers?

www.thescubastop.com/forums/showthread.php…

an article I'd seen on a stone fish injury from 2004 that was posted on various message boards.

I tried wearing real water shoes in the Aitutaki lagoon and I found it pretty uncomfortable because the sand would get in the shoe and was so gritty, mixed with ground up coral ... ended up using my cheap Walmart reef shoes for comfort.

I don't think they would have sufficed if I'd stepped on a stonefish. We were on Akaiami, and were told by Queen Tutai that the stonefish hang around the old pier only.