We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

Hi everyone,

In another forum the issue of duty free purchases made outbound to Australia has been raised in the context that for some reason there appears to be restrictions what can be bought in the CI and brought back on flights to Sydney specifically, and Australia generally.

Can anyone add any light on this? What are the restrictions, and what are the reasons for them? Is it because of the 100ml rule in cabin baggage or an airline rule or some government regulation?

Any information welcome,

Cheerz Wabster.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

my only recollection was that is u r changing planes in auckland u had to go thru in transit security and any carryon that exceeded the 3-1-1 rule was confiscated.

in other words buy your duty free in auckland or at sydney on the way in.

there has been lately a change of that rule for transitting sydney i believe so it may be worth checking up if the same applies now for auckland.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

lien

This is happening on the weekly direct flight from RAR to SYD and was reported again by someone who returned last week from Raro.

It was last discussed on this thread but nothing definitive came out of it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294328-i2626-k529…

Edited: 10 October 2012, 03:29
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

ahh, yes i remember now.

reading this

…infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/du…

it would appear, if the restrictions are still in place, the cooks dont comply with aus gov regs re the delivery of duty free liquids to the departure gate.

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

Thanks Lien, that seems a plausible explanation. I find myself wondering why the Cook Is duty free businesses don't have something done about it to preserve sales to Aussies.

Or are they making sales anyway and letting their customers lose their duty free purchases prior to boarding? Who knows.

Cheerz Wabster.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

Wabster when we were there a few years back - if you were going through NZ it would be 100% confiscated. We bought duty free in NZ whilst in transit. Interestingly when in Bangkok this year we had the same issue – we could not buy duty free even after going through customs and it was a direct flight to Melbourne – apparently this has been in place for a few years. In Singapore and Malaysia we did not experience this problem. I wonder if it is something to-do with the removal of duty free cigarettes – the Australian government is someway propping up the local duty free establishments – a conspiracy theory I know!

Regards

Suzi

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

"Or are they making sales anyway and letting their customers lose their duty free purchases prior to boarding? Who knows.

i think that would be a very difficult 'scam' to run.

the duty free store is only a few meters from the departure gate. i think there could be considerable uproar from aussie pax if recently bought duty free was being whisked away.

nothing to do with duty free cigs suzi. these restrictions have been in place for some considerable time. singapore has special arrangements where duty free is delivered to the gate lounge. dont know about malaysia.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 11:06
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

Lien yes you are right about the gate delivery in Singapore. I don't think they did in Malaysia though. I am always up for a conspiracy theory! The inconsistency between countries makes no sense

Regards

Suzi

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

up to the cooks to comply with australian regs i suppose. that's where the inconsistency arises.

may be not worth the hassle considering the number of direct flights.

u would think the powers that be would have done the maths.

who knows.

Auckland
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

Hi there, my understanding is that after 9/11 in the states, many countries worldwide changed their customs policies and introduced the 100ml liquid in the cabin luggage. Therefore duty free was no longer able to be carried onto the flight. We only ever fly to the Cooks and know that if we bring alcohol (part bottles) back to auckland then it needs to be in the checked in luggage. I got caught last time with 4 nice bottles of red wine that I expected to have in the cabin luggage. I ended up giving them to the ladies at the airport tax counter.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restrictions on Duty Free outbound to SYD

lien

That's probably what it is!

Those direct RAR/SYD flights are still regarded as experimental and, like the LAX/RAR flights, are subsidised. So until the Sydney flights become permanent, it isn't worth the hassle (or cost) for the Cooks to comply with Aus regs.

But I can't think that the duty free shops at Raro are any happier than the pax who find out at the last minute that they can't buy duty free to take into Sydney.

Get answers to your questions about Southern Cook Islands