We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atiu too? What to do!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Atiu too? What to do!

Leaving for the Cook Islands tomorrow- first time visit. We will be visiting for 8 days total and have reservations made for 5 nights on Rarotonga a and 3 nights on Aitutaki.

This gives us 4.5 days on each island.

Now, as I like to convolute things - I'm considering a detour to Atiu.

If we went to Atiu our itenirary would look like this:

2.5 days Rarotonga

2 days on Atiu

3 days on Aitutaki.

Would such a schedule turn out to be exhausting with little time in any one place? Or does anyone think it should totally be done?

We're leaving tomorrow (to start our 24hr journey!). And I have to make a decision!

Found our about flight paths and such after lodging was booked so its gonna be insane already-

We'd be flying back to Raro from Atiu and then leaving for -Aitutaki on the same day.

California
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Atiu too? What to do!

I think it is too much to add Atui with your timeframe. I would leave it the way you have it.

Saint Helens, Oregon
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atiu too? What to do!

I have been to Atiu and Aitutaki. Spent a total of two weeks on both. If it were me, I would bag Aitutaki and go to Atiu. Much more slow paced, relaxing and I think, beautiful.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atiu too? What to do!

Kia Orana Pandameat,

As your pending trip nears, there is possibly little time left for you to arrange the twin-island excursion which takes in Atiu and Aitutaki - 2 nights each island. Except you could likely spend 3 nights on Aitutaki if this sector is taken at the end of the round trip experience.

Air Raro sells this package with 2 nights at Atiu Villas and 2 nights at Tamanu Beach for $799 share twin - www.airraro.com. But it looks like you are considering flying back to Raro before flying off again to Atiu? If you do have time to enquire, find out if the package is available for the dates you have in mind. Certainly the Aitutaki - Atiu connection (& vice versa) would be the better way to go instead of returning to Raro in between.

From my experience, Atiu is a wonderfully unspoilt island with a heap of land activities available. Distinctly different to both Rarotonga and Aitutaki.

4. Re: Atiu too? What to do!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 00:16